What Dying Feels Like

Peter's POV
He heard everything.

All of their goodbyes, their sobs, the cracks in their voices, all of it.

He had been trying so hard to wake up. Sure, Peter had considered leaving. He had considered leaving the world, leaving everything that had ever hurt him. But after listening to how sad everyone was, he couldn't bring himself to do it. He would miss his family too much.

Peter was understandably confused when he sensed almost all of the Avengers in the room with him, especially when he heard sniffling and muffled sobs coming from all directions. It took him a while to realize what was happening.

When he did, he panicked. He was going to die! Peter had been through way too many near death experiences, this one was not going to be the one to end him. He was hoping for something a little more dramatic, like a hot air balloon accident, or maybe getting brutally murdered so he could end up on Buzzfeed Unsolved.

Peter knew what dying felt like. He had been through so much, he knew what it was like to be on the brink of death. And he was there. But he knew how to fight back.

So he fought.

He started with his feet, doing his best to wiggle his little toes. He hoped no one would notice so he could make a dramatic entrance like in those soap operas Sam forced him to never tell anyone he watched.

Peter slowly started working his way up his body, wiggling his limbs only slightly so nobody would notice his movements. Finally, right as he heard who he assumed was the doctor approach the bed, he was able to crack open his eyes.

"Mama?" he called out croakily, wanting desperately to see the flash of red hair and glint of silver he had grown to love so much.

And his wish was granted.

Immediately after he spoke, Peter heard an unfamiliar voice give a pained 'oomph' and a loud thump before a frantic Black Widow hovered above his face.

"Oh, Peter," she breathed out, throwing her strong arms around him as gently as she could while still pouring so much love into her embrace.

Looking over her shoulder, Peter saw Bucky with tears of pure relief flowing down his face, eyes shining with happiness.

"Was I a good hero?" he asked the room quietly, hoping that he hadn't let down his family.

Nat choked on something that sounded suspiciously like a sob. "The best, my little spider monkey. The absolute best."
———————————————————————————
Isn't it just so weird that I have this one popular fic and all my others flop? If only some of these readers could go check out my other ones so that I got the motivation to work on them again.

Hey, I'm lesbian. (Edit: people keep consenting 'same' and stuff here and I'd just like to say I'm actually biromantic and ace and this was just for the vine please don't come for me)
-spidey