23. Finding X

I cried my eyes out at the garden as I tried to "compose my brain." I finally got home and accepted whatever happened, as long as Dad is happy. I slept off practicing my fake smile.

     I woke up early the next day, cleaned everywhere, including my room based on Dad's request.
         It's not like she'll be in my room *eye roll*

     After waiting for hours, which felt like weeks, Dad came to the living room and said "She wouldn't be coming today. She got busy. She'll video call."
        All my cleaning for nothing :(

      I lazily sat on one of the dining chairs, using the screen of my phone as mirror to practice my fake smile. Wait, I don't even know the woman's name.

  "Faithe, come. She's calling already." Dad called happily.

    "Hello." I put my fake face on.

    "Hi Faithe. You're looking good. Did you get the clothes?" She asked.

     "What clothes?" I asked.

     "It's in the orange nylon." Dad answered.
          That orange nylon

    "It's nice to talk but I need to use the bathroom." My excuse to be left out of the conversation.

              •            •            •
    I heard voices from my sleep and shot up. I squinted to see the time displayed on my phone.
           3:50am. Weird.

    I stealthily tip toed from my room with a rapidly beating heart. I managed to open the door noiselessly. I peeked from the passage and was amazed.

    Dad was lying on the three seater and was on a call. I stayed a bit longer and figured he was talking with his 'wife.'
         Mtcheeew. Here me thinking robbers broke in.

    I felt like crying, for being disturbed in my sleep. Now I can't go back to sleep.

    I went back to my room. It's a Monday morning, which means I'm going back to school today.

    "I can't wait for us to talk again"
               -----X

    I took my phone to check the airtime balance and sent a quick reply:
     "Wow. You finally texted with something not from the internet."

     I put my phone on silent, keeping it under the pillow. Security reason. I kept thinking on what to do before I remembered they I had not ironed my uniform. Thank God NEPA decided to give us electricity.

      I thankfully finished before 6:30am. I took a look at myself in the mirror for the last time, adjusting my braids to the side properly. I also adjusted my tie, when I saw the neck chain peeking out, before one teacher would seize it.

   Dad wasn't done yet, so I walked to school. James and I arrived at the same time.

     "Hello hediot." He hugged me and we walked to our class.
Ace Secondary School is one of the best in the state, in everything especially the building. The compound was all covered in well maintained grass, except the side walks. The windows glimmered under the morning sunlight.

      "Werey." I rolled my eyes. "How far with the heat capacity?"

    "Heat is fine o. I already understand." He threw his arm over my shoulder. This action reminded me of Tobi.

      "Hey, I get gist o." I said and his ears perked up.

     "Ehn ehn, oya naw." He said paying rapt attention.

   "Amebo, something makes me think you're supposed to be a girl."

     "Mama said the scan showed I'm supposed to be a girl. Now talk before you start questioning my gender." He replied.

    Well, I told him about Tobi and I.

    "Oya, let me see your neck." He said dragging my tie down.

    "You want to undress me in public?" I smacked his hands off. We already settled down in class. Other students were gradually arriving.

     "I know you're looking for your girlfriend. Shoo." I pushed him slightly towards the door.

    Someone cleared his or her throat behind me. "Happy resumption."

     "Um- thanks, I guess. You too." I said awkwardly. I went back to my seat.

    "Are you shy?" He asked.

    "Maybe a little. Emeka, what do you want from me?" I said in a bored tone.

     "Calm down, sweetheart." He said smiling.
         The guts.

    "Don't call me that."

   "Well, I get to talk to you again. I'm X." He still has that stupid smile on.

     "Wow. I have a strong urge to call Mr. Samson right now. I finally found X, but I need proof."

      He brought out his phone, which he managed to smuggle in and showed me the messages.

    "Is this enough?"

   "I guess." I muttered.

      "So be my bae?"

      "How do I say this nicely?" I tapped my chin. "I can't and will not be your bae. I'm taken and note, try not using those cheesy lines on girls like me. It gets us angry." I said watching his face fall. "How did you even get my number?"

        "From your beloved friend, Mojola." He scoffed. "Anyways, thanks for the tip. I don't know what I saw in you before." He said walking away.

     "Your loss." I said after him.

    24(blurb)
         "Heck, do you even know me as you claimed..."

    I deeply apologize if the chapter is boring or isn't well written. I was really down when writing. And thanks for 100+ votes. I'm sure many didn't have any idea who X was, but I did 😂😂. Hey, her school's initial, ASS😂
    I heard I'm resuming next week, I dunno how true this is but if it's true, I'll have to finish this up before Saturday or Friday.

    Vote, comment, share and I hope my mood is better for the next update.