Chapter 7 - Passing Ways

It's been days since the incident between Jesse and Petra. Physically, the warrior was doing really well after the attack. Emotionally, it was obvious what happened took a toll on her.

The search for Jesse had gone on until rest of the Order eventually called it off. Wherever she disappeared off to, she didn't want to be found again. She hadn't so much as returned to the Order Hall for supplies. It was like she vanished into thin air completely.

And finally, Jesse's friends lost hope.

"I want to head back to Redstonia." Olivia said seriously. "There is nothing left for me here in Beacontown, and I'd rather return to my people now."

The three members of the Order, as well as Radar, were gathered around the dining table in the Order Hall together. Lunch stood untouched, everybody facing each other with grim expressions.

"So do I." Axel said, crossing his arms on the table's wooden surface. "Boomtown hasn't seen me since Romeo whisked us away."

"What about Beacontown?" Radar asked softly, not looking up at he gazed down at his hands. "We're without a leader now. What will we tell everybody?"

"Jesse's left Beacontown in your hands so many times, and entrusted you with the place more than anybody else." Lukas said, reaching across the table and resting a hand on Radar's arm. "I think if anybody's suited for taking leadership, it's you."

Radar looked up with wide eyes, Lukas's statement clearly taking him by surprise. He seemed to be at a lost for words.

"Really?" He asked in a small voice after a few moments, looking between them.

"You know this place better than any of us." Olivia said, smiling at him. "Beacontown will be in good hands."

"Are we going to come clean about what really happened to Jesse?" Axel asked before anybody else could speak.

"No." Lukas said immediately, shaking his head. "No matter what she did, we're still going to respect Jesse's wishes. She never wanted Beacontown to know what happened in the terminal zone." He took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a moment. "I think we need to give her credit for her last actions as their Hero in Residence, however. Beacontown needs to know that she sacrificed her life in there to save her people."

Everybody nodded, agreeing.

"I'm going to head back to my place in the woods." Lukas said, sitting upright in his chair again. "And I'm going to take Petra with me. A quiet place away from prying eyes is what she needs to recover right now. Besides, she's always loved it out there. Maybe it can take her mind off what has happened."

"That sounds like the best plan we got." Olivia said, looking between the others. "Hopefully this is the end of this whole situation."

The end. Lukas thought bitterly, sitting back in his chair again. It may be the end for Olivia if she was planning on going on like nothing's changed, but it definitely wasn't the end. Whether they denied it or not, Jesse was still out there, and no doubt still suffering mentally. Not to even mention how far from over everything was for Petra, hell, her whole life had been thrown upside down.

"I think the sooner we announce this to the town, the better." Axel spoke up. "Let's get out there and explain the situation. We can be well on our way home by sundown."

"How is it this easy for you?" Radar asked in exasperation. "You sound almost eager to announce to Beacontown that their leader's gone! That Jesse's gone!" He sounded close to tears.

"I have to agree." Lukas said softly. "Even if Jesse did horrible things as the admin, she was our friend before that, our best friend. You can't tell me you don't miss her as much as I do."