Chapter 28 - Epilogue

I stood there in the center of the kitchen, his body blocking my way to the fridge to grab a bottle of water.

He looked down at me with frustration. His arms crossed, eyebrows furrowed together.

I looked up at him through my eyelashes with a look of what I was hoping to be innocence.

His jaw ticked which showed me that his wall was breaking.

Time and time again he's told me that there are certain looks and things that I do that makes all his fight melt into putty, and he made the mistake of letting me in on a few of them.

I was a bit confused at first on how looking up at him through my eyelashes could have him forget about things that bothered him so quickly but hey, if it works, it works.

Now, when I found out about these 'looks' and certain things that I do I simply shrugged them off.

I wouldn't need them because ironically, I don't like manipulating people or their emotions.

Whether they're little looks I give or my gift from the spirits.

I want people to be real. To feel how they feel and not keep things bottled up until they snap.

If something is wrong, let's talk. I know from experience.

But man is this guy driving me crazy lately with his worrying and I just need him to relax!

"I really wish you didn't go today." He said tightly; fighting the way I was looking at him.

Was I doing the look wrong?

Ah, who am I kidding? Of course it wouldn't have worked and he seems genuinely upset so no cheating my way out of this one.

I sighed and tilted my head.

I pouted slightly because I don't like it when he's upset with me.

I heard him sigh and before I knew it I was pulled into a hug.

Now he's ok? What look did I do? Oh well.

He's calm and that's what I wanted.

I looked down and giggled at the space between us.

Chase laughed as well and kissed my forehead as he trailed his hands down my shoulders and sides to finally rest on my swollen belly.

I looked lovingly at where his hands were and smiled brightly at what lay beneath them.

He brought his index finger to my chin and tilted my head up.

Concern flooded his eyes.

"I wish you didn't go tod-"

"Chase, I won't sto-"

"Wait. I wasn't finished. I wish you didn't go today but I understand. You're a very faithful person and you hold true to your word. How can I be mad at you for that? But can you blame me for being concerned? It's winter now and you being out on the roads, out in the snow and in your condition, it's scary. I don't want anything to happen to you and I'm sure he can wait till after winter has passed." He said, mumbling the last part.

I chuckled.

"I get it and I'm sorry. I don't blame you for being concerned and maybe I will wait until after winter has passed to start visiting him again."

He gave me a deadpanned look but nodded nonetheless.

We've had this conversation for the past five years, and I always told him that I would wait until winter was done to start visiting Ryder again, but he and I both knew that that wasn't going to happen.