Dodgeball

Damian's P.O.V.:

"Okay," the teacher says, after blowing her whistle. "We're going to split into two teams! Who wants to be team captains?!"

"I'll do it," Knight exclaims, raising his hand and taking a step forward.

"Okay," she says. "Anyone else?"

No one raises their hand, they're all quiet, avoiding eye contact.

"Damian would like to do it," Knight says.

"Damian," Ganala says with a smile. "Glad you volunteered. Not many newcomers like to volunteer as captains, or in general."

"Tch. Glad to make a change," I mumble under my breath. I take a step forward, standing next to Knight who wears a smug look on his face. I glare at the taller boy and turn myself around so that I'm facing the group of students.

"Alright," the teacher says. "Since you two are captains, settle amongst yourselves on who's choosing first."

"Choosing?" I ask.

"I'll go first!" Knight exclaims, raising his hand with enthusiasm. He brings his hand down and points to Scope. "I choose Aiden!"

"Alright!" Scope says, walking over to Knight with a smile. As he stands next to Knight, he whispers, "Be prepared to get your ass whooped Wayne."

"You know Wayne," Knight whispers. "Although I do love my cousins, my second choice would've been your sister if she was here," he smirks.

"I wouldn't mind being the second pick if she was the first," Scope joins.

I scowl at the taller boys in response, annoyed at their cockiness. Is this how Demetria feels about me? No, I'm far more tolerant than this, right?

"Damian," Ganala calls. "It's your turn to pick."

I look at the group of students, my eyes landing on Wilkes. I raise my finger to point at Wilkes but stop. I begin to think. I look over at Knight and notice that he's obviously going to go for Brewer. Since he's been here longer than me, he'll most likely choose the kids that he believes can pummel me, the strongest ones out of this group of students. So I'll just have to beat that. "Jason," I say, pointing to Todd who leans on the wall, near the gym building entrance.

"Me?" Todd asks, pointing to himself. "Alright, Demo—I mean Damian!" he yells, pushing himself off of the wall and walking over to me with a smile on his face.

"You can't do that!" Brewer exclaims.

"Yeah!" Scope says. "He's a whole grown-ass man!"

"I won't hurt anyone," Jason says, putting his hands up in defense. "On accident."

"Okay," she says. "You can have Jason on your team."

"That's not fair!" Knight exclaims.

"Relax," Jason says. "I'm not even that good. I haven't played dodgeball in forever. My aim is probably off."

"But your buff!" Brewer exclaims, pointing at Todd's body and then comparing it to his own. "You can practically squash me with a quick squat to my face!"

"Just because I have muscles doesn't mean that I know how to throw. All I do is lift weights," he says flexing his muscles. "Now quit complaining and choose your next player! I wanna play some dodgeball," he says darkly, glaring daggers at the two cousins.

Knight's and Scope's eyes widen in horror. "Goddamnit," Knight growls. "Jayden!"

"Aye! Aye! Captain!" Brewer says, running up to Knight.