My Job

Bruce's P.O.V.:

"According to our charts, the inflation of products within this century has gone up, substantially. In order for us to go with this project, we must cooperate with other companies to split the price. Not only will help us financially but with publicity-wise too—"

"Why work with any of those other snobby companies? We have the power and money to do the project. A few million won't hurt us."

"If the project does not go well it could lead to bankruptcy and unemployment."

"You're acting like this company doesn't have the capabilities."

"I'm taking precautionaries. Besides, it's not even your call to say what goes. It's Mr. Wayne's..."

Back in the meeting room, I sit at the head of the table, listening and watching my workers come together, finding the most effective way for this project to come out. And by "listening and watching", I mean not paying attention at all. Their words flow into one ear and out the other as I stare into a daze, thinking about more worrying things than the company.

Today is the day the twins go back to school, and I don't know whether I should be relieved that they are finally going back to school, or worried for that same exact reason. I sigh, rubbing temples in frustration, my head hurting from just the thought of the twins causing trouble once again.

"Mr. Wayne? Mr.Wayne?" they call.

My eyes burst open in realization, forgetting that I have a whole team sitting in front of me. I snap my head up, looking around at the men and women in business suits, staring at me with judging expressions. "I apologize," I tell them, putting my hand towards them. "It's been quite hectic lately. Especially with my twins."

"I understand," our top marketing manager, Jacqueline Skai, says. "I have a child around the same age as your twins. They're probably entering that phase of theirs."

"Phase?" I ask, freezing in my seat, taken aback by the sudden assumption.

"Well they're both ten, right?" she asks. "Aren't they entering puberty?"

"Yeah," I sigh, remembering their ages and development. Another thing to worry about. "I apologize, but what is it that you had mentioned earlier?"

"We were discussing the execution of the project. Would you prefer to have this project done independently or in a cooperation matter with other companies?" they ask.

"Such as?"

"LexCorp?—"

"Pass."

"Palmer Technologies?"

"Maybe...next."

"IceBerg Lounge?"

"No."

"Queen Industries?"

"Definitely not," I tell them.

"And why not Queen Industries?" Lucius says, walking through the glass door into the room with his suitcase. "Apologies for the intrusion. Had some work to do in the office."

"Admit it, Lucius," I say with a smirk. "You overslept."

"Maybe," he says, smiling back. "You should try it sometime. Might help that foul mood of yours."

"Hilarious," I comment, rolling my eyes.

"But I think you should collaborate with Oliver on this one," he says, taking the empty seat next to me. "You two haven't collaborated in a while. And who knows, maybe he'll allow you to relieve some stress."