Back To School

Demetria's P.O.V.:

I sit at the kitchen table, with Lian in my lap, feeding her sliced bananas. She looks up to me with wide eyes, a smile finding itself on her face as she munches on the banana slice in her mouth. She reaches out towards the plate of sliced bananas, opening and closing her fist while whining.

"You want more?" I ask her as I reach for another slice of banana. Taking another slice, I bring it up to her mouth, letting her eat it herself.

As she eats the banana out of my hand, I turn my head towards the head of the table, finding Father staring at Lian. We've been sitting here in silence for ten minutes as Lian eats her bananas in silence.

Father has been sitting in his chair, staring, flabbergasted, at the sight of Lian. "Is she mine, too?" Father asks slowly, pointing to Lian.

"What if she is?" I ask him.

"Is she?"

"No," I answer, causing Father to sink into his seat, taking a deep breath out.

"Thank god," he whispers.

"Or maybe I'm lying," I say, trying to scare him.

His head snaps towards me. "Don't play with me, Demetria," he says, glaring at me.

"Alright," I chuckle. "She's not yours."

"Okay," he says in relief. He cocks an eyebrow at me. "Is she yours?"

"What?" I ask, taken aback from the question.

"Is she—"

"No! I'm ten!"

"Just making sure," he mutters, looking away as he sips his cup of coffee.

"Tch."

"Is she your sister?"

"No. She's just a baby that I used to take care of back at the compound whenever her family did some business with us."

"It must've been often," he points out. "She seems comfortable with you."

"I hope so," I chuckle, looking down at Lian. "Then all of those times saving her from intruders would've gone to waste."

"So. Whose child is she and why is she here?"

"She's Harper's kid," I answer, taking a slice of banana and letting Lian eat off of my hand.

"Roy has a kid?!" Father exclaims.

"Yeah," I say with no enthusiasm, focusing on feeding Lian.

"And why is she here?"

"Because it's Harper's turn to take care of her. But I'm basically a much better candidate than him."

"Okay. And where is Roy? Wait, better question. Where are all of the boys?" he asks, pointing out the empty family table. "It's time for breakfast. And you all still have school."

"Am I still going to school today?" I ask him.

Father stares at me as the giggles escaping Lian's mouth plays in the background. "Roy can watch his own child, right?"

"I hope he can," I answer honestly. "If not, then we have a problem."

"You're going to school," he tells me. "Go get changed."

"Okay," I answer, shrugging my shoulders. "Watch Lian for me while I go change," I say, getting up and putting Lian on Father's lap.

"Demetria—"