Note

Bruce's P.O.V.:

"I can't believe I let you convince me to join us," Commissioner grumbles, pointing his flashlight through the dark halls.

I believe it. "I can't believe it either," I reply, looking around, squinting at the dark areas as I follow right behind Gordon. I continue to play the scared multi-billionaire, keeping close to Gordon, acting as if I'm fearful of my surroundings.

"You know, Bruce," he says, turning his head towards me. "You wouldn't have to be so afraid if you had just stayed outside and let the police take care of it."

"I would have stayed outside," I told him. "But everyone didn't even realize that my two, practically still-the-talk-of-the-town twins, didn't make it out of the school. Nor did it come to their attention that they even existed."

"In all honesty, Mr. Wayne. I thought your twins were still at home on punishment."

"I guess that's a reason to forget about them," I mutter. I turn my head, seeing all of the wide-open doors, leading into each room on the third floor.

"Do you have an idea as to where they might have gone?"

"No clue," I answer, my hand gripping itself into a tight fist.

"Then let's keep looking," he announces to the group of officers behind us. "Make sure to protect Mr. Wayne while you're at it. Although he's not supposed to be here, we can't afford another casualty of any sort."

As Gordon continues to give orders to the men and women behind me, my eyes and ears wander around, trying to find something in these dark hallways. I stare down the hallway finding nothing but an abyss of darkness, a few streaks of light here and there, but nothing that can give away too much. The more I stare down the hallway, the stronger the urge to separate from this group and investigate myself.

My fists tighter, as does my jaw. My eyes glare into the darkness, finally making up my mind. I turn my head to Gordon to find the older man still moving his mouth. I internally sigh, thinking about the time that we're wasting on giving instructions than executing these actions. While he's distracted, I begin to make my move.

Quietly disassociating myself from the group, I make my way deeper into the hallway, disappearing into its darkness. With every step I take, I make sure to get a quick, good glance into each passing classroom. My eyes stay wide open, darting from wall to wall, keeping my senses keen to the smallest details. Making twists and turns into the hallways, I come across nothing but the same scene over and over again—complete darkness. I feel as though I'm in a maze with all of these open doors, leading all into nothing but empty classrooms.

As I continue walking, the frustration building up inside of me from finding nothing, I come to an abrupt stop, noticing something strange. I turn my head to the side, retreating a few steps, noticing one of the doors closed—tightly shut. I glare at the door, finding it oddly suspicious that it's closed. Turning myself towards the door, I approach it, reaching my hand out towards it. Wrapping my fingers around the handle, I grip the metal and twist it, only to find out that it's locked.

My eyes widen in surprise at the locked door. I continue to jiggle the handle, making sure that it's actually locked. With a few jiggles, I sigh, reaching into my pocket. Retrieving a lock pick, I insert it into the keyhole easily, unlocking the handle. The door swings open with a light, eerie creak, showing yet another dark classroom. Entering the classroom, I find papers and desks skewed, fear, and panic evident from the aftermath of the people within this room. But if there were, evidently people previously occupying this area, why would the door be locked?

I walk deeper into the room, looking around for any signs. Taking a few steps in, a loud crunch reaches my ear as I slowly place my foot onto the ground. I snap my head towards the area below my feet, lifting my foot in curiosity. "Glass?" I ask out loud, noticing the small glimpses of reflecting light coming from the bottom of my shoes. I reach into my pocket while staring at the ground in curiosity. Grabbing my phone, I unlock it, turning on the flashlight, finding shattered glass on the floor.