chapter 11

Aubrey POV

Spencer guides me to his jeep and opens the door for me to get into the front. I offer him a shy smile and then plop onto the seat.

Tonight was so much fun! I never thought I would meet someone so quickly that I just click with. We make each other laugh, and that is so important to me in a friend.

I am brought out of my thoughts by Spencer getting into the car and turning to face me. 

"Nice to meet you Aubrey" he says flashing a genuine swoon-worthy smile.

"You too!" I smile back "Thank you for taking me home, how do you know my mum though?" I ask genuinely curious.

"My parents invited yours around for a 'welcome to town' dinner" he says whilst starting up the car and some indie music starts playing softly in the background. 

"Oh that's really nice!" I respond, starting to feel uncomfortable because I am no good starting conversation.

"Your parents kept talking about you and then when your mom got that text that you needed a pick up I just offered wanting to meet the girl that has her parents so proud" he says smiling and starting to move out of Ian's obnoxiously large driveway. "Had to see if half the shit they were saying was true, no one can be that perfect - thought you were some kind of princess!" he continues chuckling slightly.

How the hell do I respond to that. Literally wtf. I can't help but blush slightly so I look out my window and laugh uncomfortably. 

"So what's the verdict?" I say trying to continue the joke of the situation. I begin to overthink what I say but push away the anxieties. 

"Hmmm" he says turning his gaze from the road to briefly look me up and down before returning to the road. 

"Well silly I've just met you" he says chuckling.  

"True true" I say quietly looking back out the window.

"But" he says before pausing to look at me again with a smirk. "You are as beautiful as they were claiming" 

Completely not knowing how to respond I blush further and say "Oh um heh-"

Luckily he cuts me off from my beginnings of a ramble. "And I'll just have to spend more time with you to see if you are really as perfect on the inside as you are on the outside."

Did I hear this man correctly? I laugh and say "Heh thank- but-" 

Again before I can finish he cuts me off, looks at me and says "You're cute"

Ok think Aubrey, how do you respond. "You too" Well nope that is not exactly what I was thinking Aubs, way to make things weird. Did I just flirt back? Oh no. Wait maybe that is a good thing, he is kinda cute. Hell, he is super cute. 

He looks at me again and smiles. 

"We'll have to organise another dinner with your parents so I can get the goss on you,"  I say looking at him "it's only fair"

He laughs and says "It's only fair"

"So how do you know Gray?" Spencer asks suddenly turning more serious. 

"I met him about a week ago when I delivered some books to his father's shop, and then he borrowed my copy of Jane Eyre so I just went to his house to pick it up but then he insisted I say for dinner." I say remembering our first encounter. 

"Oh so you two aren't" he says trailing off.

"Hmm?" 

"You know you aren't" he says again trailing off and giving me a pointed look. It takes me a while but I finally get the hint that he is asking whether or not we are together.