Chapter 12: Broken Friendship

Julie and I stood on the stage, smiling awkwardly at the students on the floor. "Hey where'd the rest of the band go?" the stage manager asked as he ran on stage. I looked at him before looking at Julie, not knowing what to say; this was the first time I was rendered speechless. 

"Wait. Were those holograms?" Kayla, one of the Dirty Candy dancers, then asked us as I looked at her.

"Yes. Yes, they were holograms." I responded, going along with her idea since it worked well with the lie. 

"Ash and I plugged it into the ceiling projector before the show. I'd explain it, but it involves algorithms and science stuff." Julie then said as I nodded along; after a second the students started clapping and cheering again. As everyone was clapping for me and Julie, I let out a sigh of relief, mentally thanking Kayla for that save. 

"That was amazing!" I heard Reggie say as I looked over, seeing him talking with Alex and Luke. I then watched as Reggie walked up onto the stage and he started waving his butt around; I let out a laugh, causing him to look at me; he gave me a genuine smile before walking off the stage to join Alex and Luke again.

"Ok, people, show's over. Let's get back to class, please." Principal Lessa then announced to everyone as the students started to clear out of the gym again. I looked at Julie, letting out a breath of relief as I looked over, seeing Reggie trying to flirt with Kayla who didn't even know he was there. I watched the two as I felt a feeling I've never felt before; I just watched Reggie, feeling a small pang in my chest...is that feeling...jealousy? 

I mean, what could I possibly be jealous of? I mean, first of all, Kayla doesn't even know he exists. Second of all, he's a ghost and I'm a human; nothing will ever happen between us...even though that's the last thing I want. 

"Mrs. Harrison, I am so sorry for not asking for permission." I then heard Julie say as I tore my gaze away from Reggie, looking at Julie to see her sitting down on the edge of the stage, Mrs. Harrison walking over to her.

"Yea, Julie just wanted to show you that she belongs in the music program." I added in as I walked over to Julie, sitting down next to her on the stage. 

"As amazing as that was, your spot's already been filled by another student." Mrs. Harrison told Julie, motioning over as we saw a small freshman with a giant cello; we all winced every time the cello wheels banged on the stairs going down.

"Come on, that thing is way too big for him!" Julie then exclaimed, motioning to the kid.

"He'll grow into it. I wish I could help you, but my hands are tied." Mrs. Harrison told Julie as Julie sighed, not saying anything to respond to it. 

"Mine aren't," Principal Lessa started as she walked over to us, "and as much as I didn't approve of this little stunt that you two pulled, I will not go down in history as the principal who kicked Julie Molina out of the music program." she continued to Julie, a small smile on her lips. 

"Thank you!" Julie exclaimed, smiling before laughing.

"But...when you two win your first Grammy together, I want to be thanked." Principal Lessa then added as Mrs. Harrison laughed a little, smiling.

"Definitely." Julie and I both said at the same time, both of us with a grin on our faces.

"Thank you." Mrs. Harrison said to Principal Lessa as she walked away. "Congratulation!" Mrs. Harrison then exclaimed, hugging both me and Julie. "Welcome back!" she added before walking off; Julie and I jumped off the stage as we walked up to Flynn, who was waiting for us; I looked at her facial expressions, seeing that she looked happy for us, yet at the same time, upset.