20. Innocent death

~ People with good hearts are the most attractive.

Amyrah

An eight year old in a wheelchair. Slim and pretty. Her pale pink lips apart. Her eyes lit up with amusement. Her brown curls bouncing around her shoulders. Her fingers interwined with her sister's. Their brother grinning cheekily, his hands dipped in mud. A picture of a happy family, a family of children.

I remember that day, the day Hashma died, exactly eight years back.

"Who is this pretty girl?"

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a voice. I felt my eyes moisten with unshed tears.

"Hashma. My sister, cousin sister," I mumbled.

"She looks young," my sister-in-law, Rayzah said quietly.

"She was eight."

"Aww.... you both were so cute and adorable. Look at you grinning cheekily. Oh my gosh! Look at my Ammar. He looks dashing as usual. Such a naughty kid," she happily chatted away, her eyes shining bright with love.

"There was a picture just like this with me and Aahil, you know my brother, I looked about your age. The saying old is gold is true indeed," she continued.

I just smiled. She looked back at me with a frown.

"Wanna talk about it, Amyrah?"

I shook my head. No. I just wished to stay alone.

"You'll feel better, I promise. I won't ask you any questions either," she said.

I wonder if she's asking out of love or just because she's curious. Why don't I tell her? It's not like I care what she thinks. Should I?

"Today everyone's unhappy. Ammar left early, uncle and aunt never came out of their room and now you. Nobody trusts me. I won't force you to tell me, I just wanna help," she said looking offended.

"I didn't do anything, I promise," I suddenly said, my voice breaking. "Believe me."

"I do."

She said with so much love, that my lips automatically parted, the words rolling out of my mouth, my eyes filling up with tears, which I wished would never fall.

I, a brave girl, never cried. Not in anyone's presence. Today, I went against my own words.

***

8 years back
Sunday, December 20th

Park City. The ultimate place of joy. Every child's dream world. Be it children, couples or adults, this was a place where one could make delightful memories.

Far off, near the edge of a cliff, was a daring looking girl around the age of ten, her brown orbs lit, her rosy pink lips apart, her cheeks puffed, the melodious sound of her laughter carried away by the winds. Her companion, an eight year old, a pale looking girl in a wheelchair. Her curly hair flying all over her face. Her lips stretched in a ghostly smile. Together they made a great combo.

Next to them was a teenaged boy with an angry look on his handsome face. On a closer look, one could tell that the boy was arguing with his sister.