Chapter 25

Sage

He left simply stating that I should keep fearing him. How can you say such a thing? Don't let this fear fade, as if he is doing any efforts to fade it. Even his silence is enough.

We were at the dinner table and he was busy texting to someone. God knows whom, but he looks in a good mood. Shall I ask him about letting me go in the backyard? Leave it Sage, why are you inviting your death. I tried to bark some sense into myself but there is a part of me that so urge to go out. To feel the breeze. It shouldn't be a big thing I am not asking to go out of the perimeter of the house. "Out with it?" He said all of a sudden startling me "I-I-" "You are not eating, just drowning your fork into the food. You want to say something, then say it" he said. "I-I Um-I-I N-No I don't want to say an-anything" I couldn't gather the courage to ask. He shrugged and went back to his food so did I. You can't do anything Sage I mumbled to myself at my cowrdice.

"Ca-Can you kee-keep the backyard open?" I said finally gathering all my inner strength. Now his hands stopped "I-I wont go for long, just for sometime, as long as you will allow" I added in fear. "C-can I-I go, please?" I asked in a lower voice. He looked at me with scrutinizing gaze and then smirked "No" he said. In just one word he broke my heart. The first time I asked anything and he refused it bluntly.

I returned back to my plate, without groveling further. What's the point? He is happy seeing me sad. My begging would have made him even happier, and I refused to give him that.

I entered the room after doing the dishes and he was lying on the bed. Not reading today, just laying staring at my wedding gown. I went inside in the bathroom and washed my face and changed into my pj's. I came out and started with my ritual of ironing the dress

"What's with that?" He said and I looked at him surprised not understanding what he meant.

"This...thing that you do every night, what's your deal?" He clarified

"I-I it ju-just a routine" I told him wishing to avoid any future conversation on this.

"A routine that if not done you get restless? I think we could give a word better than routine" he contorted and I moved my gaze to the ground not wanting to explain it. "You know you are a delusional crazy woman" and I pouted at his insult that he insinuated towards me. "Finish whatever your routine is" he said shaking his head and I did. I did finish my routine. What would he understand, huh.

I came to bed and sat. My eyes were on the shackle that would be tied to my ankle in the coming few seconds. In a way it's just the personification of my metaphorical chains I am already trapped in. I am just a captive kept in his cage with or without the shackle.

"I don't have to, I want to and that's all that should matter to you" His words from last night echoed in my ears.

I let out a sigh and locked it around my ankle myself. Once I heard the click, I took out the key that he leaves in it when he opens in the morning. I turned and he was staring at me intently. I stretched my palm with key to him. For him to take it. He did. He took the key and I laid down and so did he, switching off the lights.

We both were staring at the ceiling, I know he is not sleeping neither was I.

"You need to make yourself ready" he said, guess he too knows that I am not sleeping. I turned my head to him. He was still staring at the ceiling "F-f-for what" I asked. "For the fact that you have to give birth to my child. And that need to happen quickly" He said and a shiver run down me. How can he be so emotionless about a thing like this. "If a legitimate heir is the price to be the Don, I will pay it. I don't want to rape you, I am not a rapist but I need a child. If you can't accept this marriage, I will marry someone else." He said bluntly. Is he even listening to himself? He will marry someone else, and what, leave me. "My fat-father will kill me if you leave me" I said to him because that will happen. I haven't heard a single divorce in our world and I am being told this, since the day I was betrothed
to Matteo, that if my marriage fails I will be dead. Loud and clear. "I never said I am letting you go. You are not stepping out of this house" he said bluntly. I gaped at him in shock.