Chapter 34

Sage

I opened my eyes to an empty room. I was alone and there was a continuous light beeping sound. Where am I? "You woke up honey?" I heard my mother. "Mom?" I asked barely being able to speak. My head, it's aching too much and so is my hand, my legs and my stomach. Everything is aching.

"Sage, I heard what happened at Don's house" she said and like everything came back to me. Hospital. I must be in a hospital. Ava was about to fall..."Mom, Ava is alright? And Eve? Tell me they are fine" I asked holding her hand tightly and she nodded "Yes, yes sweetheart they both are fine" and I let out a breath of relief.

"Ma'am if you could step out, I need to check on the patient" in came a nurse and mom got up nodding.

"How are you feeling now Mrs. Rivers?" She asked and my hand went to my tummy. No, why I can't feel my child.

"Nurse, my child-my child is fine right?" I asked worried. I tried to get up and she helped me sit. "Tell me, check it. He is breathing right? He has started kicking this month. He will kick again?" I asked her and dragged her hand on my stomach "Can you feel the kick? Tell me nurse my child is okay right?" I asked again and again scared of the answer.

"Mrs. Rivers, calm down." She said patting my back "I am sorry ma'am but we couldn't save your child."

No! No! No! Don agreed for Azriel to become Don, everything was fine then why? Damn. Why did Matteo got to know about my plan. Why? Azriel must be shattered and he must be so angry with me.

"M-my hus-huband, does he know?" I asked to the nurse terrified.

"Yes" she said and this one word spun the whole world around me. I will be the Don Sage, I don't give a fuck about collateral damage" his voice came back to me again and again. What will happen now? What will he do?

"Wh-where is he?" I asked

"With your doctor. You will be discharged tomorrow now that you are conscious. He must be completing the formalities." She told me and I nodded.

"You should sleep. Take rest. You are still on sedatives" she said lying me down. But I can't sleep now. I was so dreading what hell time has stored in for me.

Someone came in and I closed my eyes in fear thinking it will save me from Azriel's wrath but a soft hand on my shoulder told me it's not him

I opened my eyes to see Eve. I held her hand on my shoulder and started sobbing without turning towards her. She sat beside me and I turned to her. "Ev-Eve are you okay? Matteo-Matteo did-did he hurt -" "Relax Sage. I am okay. I am sorry that-I am sorry Sage" she said and started crying. "Eve, wh-why are you saying so-sorry it's not your fault" I said holding her hand. "I-I was angry at you Sage. I wasn't happy when I heard you were pregnant because Matteo became more mean after that. I don't care if he slept with other girls but since then he started hurting me and I was angry at you for doing this to me" she said crying. "I am sorry Eve"

"But now you lost your child, and I feel it's because of me-" "No Eve its not because of you. It's not your fault. I deserve this I hurt my best friend so much. I just didn't want you to die Eve."

"Die? I don't understand?"

"Nothing Eve, I am sorry because Matteo hurt you because of me and Zyan he, how could they do this you"

"Sage, I-I think I am falling in love with Zyan" she blurted after a moment and my eyes went wide. "Eve! Have you lost your mind? Do you even know what you are saying? If Matteo get to kn-"

"Matteo is the one who threw me at his feet. He wanted me to pleasure his friend. Zyan is different Sage, he never hurts me. He loves me so much, he is so tender." She said, that's why she looked at Zyan to save her.