Chapter 20

Anna shook her head slightly before replying. "I'm fine. I just got caught up in my thoughts is all."

"What were you thinking about," Van Helsing asked.

"Just thinking about how I will finally be at peace, once Dracula is gone for good," Anna said before quickly changing the subject, to keep Van Helsing from wandering over to see what she was looking at.

"Are you sure that is all you're thinking about? Because if there is something else bothering you, you can always talk to me about it," Van Helsing said.

Anna thought about her choice words carefully before speaking. "What if there was an alternative way to save my family from purgatory, if I were to die before I end Dracula's life? Would you consider taking it?"

"I guess. It all depends on what is involved in this alternative way. Why do you ask," Van Helsing asked.

"I was just curious," Anna replied.

"Did you find an alternative way," Van Helsing asked taking a step closer towards Anna.

"No...not exactly. I just thought I would run the idea by you first," Anna began quickly glancing at Carl, who shook his head while mouthing the word no to her. Anna ignored Carl turning her attention back to Van Helsing. "What if there was a way to save my family; like if something were to happen to me before I could kill Dracula. We could always sacrifice the being that both you and Dracula love. Don't deny it either. Deep down you love Lilith, but you won't say anything to her out of fear of being rejected."

"No...NO," Van Helsing roared. "That is something that is not going to happen, because you're not going to die before we get rid of Dracula. We are going to make sure all of your family enters the gates of Saint Peter. Nobody is going to die or be sacrificed in the process." Van Helsing then stormed away from Anna over to the map, while Carl made his way over to Anna.

"Why did you go and tell him about sacrificing Lilith," Carl asked in a hushed tone.

"Was I not supposed to say something about his precious partner being an alternative to save all of my family from wandering restlessly for all eternity," Anna asked.

Carl sighed. "You already said it yourself. Van Helsing has feelings for Lilith. Suggesting that he sacrifice Lilith is something that would set him off. We both know that he loves her, even if he wants to be extremely stubborn about it and deny his feelings for her."

"Why fall for a woman whom is clearly not available? Why not wait and fall for a woman who can give him what Lilith can't," Anna asked.

Carl was about to reply only to be cut off by Van Helsing speaking as he looked the map over, refusing to look at Carl and Anna. "For as long as I can remember, it's always been Lilith and I. Granted when we were first partnered together, we didn't like the idea of having to work with each other. But the cardinal who put us together didn't want to hear it. He told us that we had to figure something out amongst ourselves to make the partnership work. When we would go out on our missions, we would always throw rude little comments towards each other. Then one day, I told her that all she was good for was being captured or chased by the monsters that we were sent to retrieve. She always said that I was good for not listening and pissing off the higher ups. I guess that I have gotten so used to her saying that that some kind of an unbreakable bond formed between us. And when you suggested that we sacrifice Lilith, it cut me deep."

"So, you would rather I be the one to risk my life in trying to put an end to Dracula; even after he has come close to turning me into his bride," Anna snapped.

"I never said anything about you dying either. If I have any say in the matter, the only one who is going to die is Dracula," Van Helsing said as Carl and Anna made their way over to the map, studying it alongside him.