||4||

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩
🌌Faded Dreams🌌
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

Weeks drifted by like clouds since Charlotte entered the Scrubbs' household. Occasionally, she pondered about Aunt Jill, whom she never heard from since their squabble. Trapped in her own thoughts, she often sank in emotional turmoil, wondering if her existence was even valued. Fortunately, Edmund and Lucy's presence kept her mind distracted and minimised these unpleasant thoughts.

A fine morning greeted Charlotte with a beautiful sunrise right outside the bathroom window when she got dressed early. When she opened the bathroom door, she found herself inches away from Edmund's face. They jumped away from each other, landing in a sheepish state.

They uttered their morning greetings in deep abashment, suddenly shy to meet each other's gazes. He scratched the back of his head while she rubbed her arm gently.

"Have you been sleeping well?" He prompted. "There's always a bit of noise coming from your room every night."

Charlotte reminisced the conversation she had with Lucy the night before. Unbeknownst to the boy in front of her, they had been gossiping all through the nights that they only fell deep in slumber in the early hours.

When Charlotte strolled into the guest bedroom in her nightgown, Lucy was sat already on the bed with her legs crossed, and she brushed her hair as she prepared for a good night's sleep.

"How are matters with you and my brother?"

"Pardon?" Charlotte did a double take as she processed Lucy's question.

Lucy giggled to herself, shaking her head at her companion. She repeated herself, ensuring that she annunciated every syllable clearly.

"Whatever do you mean?" Charlotte snorted to herself, turning out the lights of the room.

"Since I'm older, I understand now," Lucy lied down on the bed, supporting her head with her arm, "you're enamoured with each other."

"Well, yeah, I suppose," Charlotte agreed with a half heart as she laid on her mattress, "but why the question? We're alright, I think."

"Well, I've never seen you two kiss like they did."

Charlotte's eyes widened, and her heartbeat became rapid at the simple thought. She hummed to herself to occupy the sheepish silence between the two.

"I don't think we've ever given any thought about that, really."

"I wish I knew what it felt like."

"I wouldn't know either, and I don't think we're ready to know.."

"I'm not talking about kissing."

"Oh?"

"I mean, a courtship."

Charlotte frowned to herself, washed over by perplexity. She had always thought of her relationship with Edmund as similarly to her friendship with his siblings. While they were aware of their attraction towards each other, they never thought to engage in activities that adults do in relationships, like calling each other pet names or showing affection in public. Furthermore, she never knew Edmund's thoughts on it either. It never occurred to her that they were not exactly in a courtship.