||13||

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩
🤺Mouse-keteer🤺
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

When the sun had risen, everyone on board was up and working — except Eustace, who snored in his hammock. His roommate, using his tail, tapped him lightly on his top. Eustace raised his hand lazily to wave the nuisance away.

"Push off."

"Rise and shine, lad!" Reepicheep encouraged energetically, "Adventure awaits us!"

Eustace groaned to himself and rose in his hammock. Reepicheep was greeted with an exhausted frown as Eustace's eyelids gave way to gravity.

"You've slept enough already now, haven't you?"

"Not really, thanks to you," Eustace complained, "I'd been hearing your snores all night trying to fall asleep! And that tail of yours kept brushing against my face, like pesky mosquitoes!"

"Now come on, jelly legs, this isn't exactly a palace with much room," Reepicheep excused himself, "but I'll keep that in mind from now on."

Eustace found himself sitting in stunned silence, simply staring at the mouse before him. Receiving an apology from anyone, let alone from an animal, seemed foreign to him.

"Well, er," his tongue was tied as he thought aloud, "I appreciate that."

"Oh! Did I just hear you say thank you?" Reepicheep egged him on with his little paws cupping his rodent ears. "I'm sorry, the water sometimes gets in my ears."

"Well then, you've missed it."

Reepicheep chuckled lightly and scurried towards the upper deck, leaving Eustace alone to prepare himself for the day. However, Eustace slumped against his hammock once more, only grabbing his notebook and scribbling some notes.

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

Later on, directly under the sun's scorching heat, Charlotte found Eustace hiding away in the corner of barrels and crates. His nose was stuck in his notebook, but his eyes occasionally met hers as she approached closer.

"What're you always doing in that notebook of yours?"

"It's none of your business."

"Is it some sort of a diary?" She teased him with an amused giggle.

"If you must know," he scoffed lightly, "I'm documenting my days as a hostage on this ridiculous ship."

"Oh Eustace..."

"I'm surrounded by people with such delusions," he rolled his eyes lazily, "and I'm severely disappointed that you're one of them."

"Come on, Eustace," Charlotte scanned the ship's atmosphere, "everyone's having a great time on this boat, there's Caspian navigating the sea, Lucy knitting..."

"And Edmund rubbing that tin sword of his?"

Charlotte processed his words slowly, her features caked in a muddle. Her eyes drifted towards Edmund at the far end of the ship. He had been scraping away the green moulds that were glued to the ancient Narnian relic.