Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The next day,
torture room

"I think I gave you enough time. Speak," Ryzel ordered and dragged a steel chair to the center of the room. Ezra slowly lifted his swollen and red-rimmed eyes. Dark bags and pale expression characterized Ezra. The open wounds on Ezra's back produced a burning stench but nothing that Ryzel can't handle.

"What do you want to know?" Ezra asked weakly and winced when his back stung painfully. There was no use struggling in a futile fight. Ryzel wrinkled his brows and with a deep sigh, produced a syringe from his pocket and injected a clear liquid into the medical tool. Ezra widened his eyes and his body trembled in fear. "Please, I'm willing to tell you everything. Not that one again," Ezra begged and pleaded but Ryzel ignored him.

Ryzel walked over to Ezra and injected the drug into Ezra's neck. "This is a mild painkiller. Give me everything or I'll end your life in a snap," Ryzel glowered and threatened Ezra. Ezra heaved a sigh of relief when some of his wounds began to feel numb. "Start spilling, Jaren Miller, and stop wasting my time."

Jaren nodded, expecting that Ryzel and the organization must have figured out his identity. "I... You have a large bag on your head, Captain Ryzel," Jaren started and Ryzel raised his brown in curiosity but he let Jaren explain. "It was three months ago when I heard from one of my friends that a certain large underground organization is out for your blood. If one successfully captures you, he or she will be rewarded a million dollars. If he or she kills you, the bounty will be tripled."

Ryzel nodded in understanding. His evil father must be the one behind the scenes. "How did you meet Ezra?"

"Ezra Jones is a man we met in a bar. He mentioned in passing that he was celebrating because he got in a top-secret organization." Ryzel cursed at the new information. No one is allowed to disclose the existence of The Phantom. "Then, he accidentally mentioned your name."

"My name?"

"He said that you're a person he looks up to. My friend and I were so shocked because we have been looking for you for so many weeks but we couldn't find any paper trail that will lead us to you."

"Until Ezra Jones," Ryzel supplied and Jaren nodded. No paper trail would lead to Ryzel because that is how thorough Trevor is. Trevor erased any documents that will lead to the whereabouts of Ryzel and everything related to Ryzel, including public documents.

"We drugged him and I claimed his identity. No one questioned it because I embodied Ezra's personality, and I hold all of his documents." Ryzel needs to remind Trevor to conduct an even thorough background investigation on potential recruits to avoid this kind of mistake in the future. "As for Ezra, I don't know what my friend did to him. He handles all the dirty work."

"Who's your friend?"

"Don Keller." Jaren gasped in surprise when Don's name slipped from his lips. He wasn't supposed to disclose that but he couldn't help himself. Ryzel smirked in satisfaction. The drug is working, Ryzel thought and composed himself. Boss will be happy.

"Why did you look scared when I mentioned Harris? What is your relationship with him? Why are you familiar with the name?"

Jaren gulped at Ryzel's scary expression. "He's the one who put a reward on you. Other than that, I don't know him. I haven't seen him, spoken to him, or interacted with him. All of the transactions were handled through intermediaries."