Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Ryzel woke up, his body drenched in sweat and his head throbbing painfully. "Urgh. Fuck. Why does it hurt so much?!" He grumbled in frustration and reached for the nightstand and rummaged through his drawers, looking for painkillers. It could be because of his dream, Ryzel thought, but it was not just a dream. It was a memory. A memory of how that person helped him escape Raymond's clutches and brought him to where he is now.

He breathed a sigh of relief when he found the pill bottle and reached for his water tumbler, then popped two tablets into his mouth. He took a deep breath and squeezed his eyes tight, all while massaging the side of his head. Was it a hangover? Ryzel drank only a few bottles and the beer was not strong enough to get him drunk. Lately, he feels lightheaded even when he's doing nothing and his head would throb in pain out of the blue.

Ryzel leaned against the headboard and took several calming breaths while waiting for the medicine's effect to kick in. He can't help but let his mind drag him back to the past; a continuation of his disrupted dream.

back in the past,

Ryzel groaned and slowly opened his eyes when a sharp pain shot up his shoulder. Slightly disoriented, he kept his eyes shut while his mind caught up to the sudden turn of events. Then, his eyes shot wide open when he remembered what happened. He scanned his surroundings and frowned when he realized that they are in a small, dim room. Cobwebs and dirt decorated the place: not a room susceptible to prolonged human living.

"Good thing that you're awake. You need to escape now," Lexus said in a hushed voice and started to tend to Ryzel's wounded shoulder.

"Uncle L-Lexus? What is happening? I thought you were... how long was I out?" Ryzel was very confused. His mother told him about Lexus Harris, one of the brothers of his father. Deena mentioned that Lexus was in a medically-induced coma because Raymond wanted to keep his traitor of a brother from ruining his research.

Lexus remained silent and carefully wrapped Ryzel's wound. Last month, Ryzel woke up from his coma but he pretended to be asleep while formulating a plan in his head. He discovered that he is still in their parent's mansion and Lexus knows every corner of the building. He was able to gather important information from the nurses and doctors that visits his room to gossip. They were airing their grievances because they are only allowed to go out once every two weeks.

Lexus figured out that during off days, only the skeletal personnel remains and few other guards. Therefore, the security would be lax and he can sneak out easily without attracting any attention. That day is today, and Lexus set out to escape and find his wife and son who he didn't see for the past eight years. Lexus hopes and prays that his family is well and alive, free from the clutches of his brother's cruelty and evil deeds.

Lexus has a very flawless plan, but then came Ryzel, his brother's only son. He overheard Raymond's plan about Ryzel and he couldn't ignore what he heard and run away. When Lexus thought of Elijah, he just couldn't leave Ryzel. Elijah will loathe him if he learns that he let Ryzel get preyed on by those scums.

Thus, the present situation. Lexus saved Ryzel and he plans to do it all the way, even if it means that he won't be able to see his son for who knows how long. Once Raymond realizes that Lexus escaped from his room, Lexus is aware that his security will be doubled, if not tripled. "The guards are still patrolling the area but in ten minutes, they will be shifting locations. That tiny window will be your time to escape."

Ryzel's frown deepened. "What do you mean? You're not coming with me?"

"That's not an option, kid. It's hard to escape with the two of us."