Chapter 11 - Part 2

After I finished with James I went back to my room and crawled under the covers. I was feeling pretty low and the lack of sleep was too much to deal with. I ended up drifting off to sleep.

It was late morning when I woke, I got up and showered. On my way to breakfast I noticed there was a lot of activity. It was strange that there were men going through some of the rooms, including Angel's study.

I saw Jack. "What's going on?" I asked.

"We sweep the house regularly for bugs and things like that."

It was another reminder of what was considered normal in a life of crime, constantly worrying about law enforcement infiltrating. You had to worry about the good guys as well as the bad guys.

"Do they ever find any?" It was curiosity that made me ask the question.

"No. It's more of a precaution."

Well that was good, wasn't it? I never remembered his father doing that.

"Where is Angel anyway?" I asked, not seeing him around.

"I don't usually have any details about his schedule but I did see him head out."

After telling me they needed to discuss wedding details he was a no show. Typical. Last night it had been so important and now it wasn't.

The thought of staying and watching strangers sweep the house stressed me out so I decided it was better to go out. Besides at some point I had to start looking at wedding dresses.

At the third bridal shop I was on my fourth glass of champagne and more than slightly tipsy. I had tried on four dresses but none of them had felt right. I don't know why I cared, I should just pick one and get it over and done with. It wasn't like it meant anything.

"We have selected some of our best dresses," the lady helping me announced.

Jack had not only played the part of my bodyguard, his job today included giving his opinion on ever dress I tried on. He was a typical guy and thought they were all beautiful, so he was no help at all.

It also made me a little emotional that I was doing something that my mother should have been here to do with me and the fact that she wasn't tinged the whole experience with sadness.

I tried on a couple but it was the third that touched me in a way the others hadn't. It was simple satin with spaghetti straps with a revealing cleavage, tight waist and ended at my ankles. It was beautiful and subtle. There was no beading, lace or frills. No pretense.

Jack was looking bored but when I walked out he straightened up. His expression said everything and he gave me the thumbs up and he smiled. He only confirmed what I already felt. It was the dress I had been looking for. Or maybe he was just relieved I had chosen something. Maybe I would have chosen something more extravagant but it was perfect for loveless wedding to Angel.

"I'll take it," I told the saleswoman hovering nearby.

At least the dress was taken care of. I had completed one important task.

When we got back to the house there was a buzz of activity, it was unusual to say the least. I went to the study and knocked. The alcohol I had been sipping for the last couple of hours had relaxed me and I was ready to share the news that I had chosen a wedding dress. Angel had been so insistent on moving forward with the wedding plans, it would be a step in the right direction.

"Come in," Angel said. My stomach fluttered at the sound of his voice. It was disconcerting.

When I entered James and Angel were standing by his desk. They looked like they had been in a deep discussion just before I had arrived.