Chapter 20 - Part 1

Claire greeted me as I stepped into her house. Jack remained outside the front door.

"That's a bit over the top," she murmured when she saw Jack.

"Angel is big on security," I replied, not wanting to go into all the valid reasons for my need for a bodyguard.

"It's so good to see you," she embraced me tightly and I breathed the familiarity of her in. Just being in her presence took me back to a childhood where loss didn't exist and everything was right in the world. "I was devastated when I was told of your death."

"He believed faking my death would keep me safe."

It had until I had decided to show up again and I unknowingly put myself in danger again.

I felt a pang of guilt that I hadn't reached out to her as soon as I returned.

"Angel was trying to protect me," I told her, hoping she wouldn't push for too many details.

"You look so grown up," she murmured, gazing at me affectionately.

I shrugged. "I might look different but I'm still the hot headed girl who doesn't do what she is supposed to."

It was something that Angel constantly reminded me of. My inability to do what I was told.

She smiled. "Good to hear that you aren't doing what you're told." She had a mischievous glint in her eye and that made me smile.

She never made me feel any of the shortcomings I knew I had.

"So tell me what's been going on," she said as we both entered the living room and sat down.

I didn't go into the specifics but revealed the threat to my life but not who was behind it. She listened intently.

"That's why Angel faked my death."

She frowned but didn't say a word. She wouldn't even look me in the eye.

"I have something I need to show you," she finally said after a bit of silence.

Her body language and tone made me nervous but I nodded. I trusted her.

"Promise me you will hear me out before you do anything."

I nodded. My nervousness grew.

"Come with me," she said and I followed her to the kitchen.

When she entered she stopped and looked at me. I halted when I saw a man I didn't immediately recognize seated at the kitchen table. He stood and I looked to Claire.

"I need you to listen to what he has to say Kira," she said.

They shared a look and my gaze went back to study the stranger. He was tall, older. He was dressed in a suit.

"Who is he?" I asked, studying him. There was something familiar about him but I couldn't remember where I knew him from. "Do I know you?"

Had he been a friend of my mother's?

He shared a look with Claire. There was something going on.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Please sit down," he offered me the seat across from him but I shook my head.

"I'm good right where I am."

Claire touched my arm. "Please hear him out Kira."

I frowned.

"For me?" she asked.

I nodded. I would do it for her.

She left the kitchen and I faced the stranger.