Chapter 16 - Part 2

"Tell the truth," Kaiden prompted me from the other side of the metal table.

I was so angry with my brother. I kept my arms crossed over my chest and refused to utter even one word while I glared at him resentfully. This man across from me, I didn't recognize. He had changed so much there was little that reminded of the boy I had grown up with.

He leaned forward. "You and I both know there was something more to Bruno's death. This is your chance to honor your friend and tell us what happened."

I couldn't believe he was seriously trying to use my loyalty for a friend against the same loyalty I felt for the Knox family, for Angel.

"Just give me something Kira. Something I can use to protect you." He pleaded. "I can't save you if you don't give something up."

Save me. Why did every man in my life believe they needed to save me? And why did they always believe they knew best when they didn't?

But I refused to allow him to try and manipulate me into doing what he thought was best. I had already made my choice and he wasn't respecting it. If he believed for a second I was going to reveal secrets, he had another thing coming.

When he had decided to go into law enforcement I hadn't been happy about it, but I had supported him in his choice and here he was trying to get me to change mine.

When I shifted slightly in the chair, my brother's eyes held mine and for just a fleeting second they held hope that I was going to reveal what he wanted.

I cleared my throat. "I want a lawyer."

I had rights and he couldn't just trample them at will.

My brother's face fell and his hands fisted. "Don't do this Kira. I can feel you slipping through my fingers." He sighed. "I wasn't old enough to see what was happening to mother but I'm not going to stand by and do nothing while you follow the same path she went down."

I refused to answer him. I wasn't going to argue with him or allow him to try to think he could do this type of thing. He had crossed a line and I wasn't going to be nice about it.

He pushed back from the table and rose. The chair fell back and I flinched. Our glare held for a few seconds before he strode from the room slamming the door behind him.

I let out a breath, trying to calm my nerves. I had never been brought in for questioning but knew that I had rights my brother couldn't steamroll me over.

If they allowed me a phone call, I didn't know who I would call. Despite my brother's rash actions I didn't want to get him into trouble with Angel but there was no way to cover this up, was there?

It didn't take my brother long to return. His anger echoed in the stiffness of his stance and shoulders.

I wondered what he would say if he knew what I had tried to do the day before.

"Let's go," he said and turned to leave the room.

I stood and followed him out. "Where are we going?"

He refused to answer me but I continued to trail him, hoping he had come to his senses and was going to let me go.

When we got into the car I felt apprehensive about his motives. Then when I refinished the route back to the cemetery my curiosity peaked.

Why was he taking me back there? I studied my brother's stiff features. He was angry that I hadn't given him any information, even knowing how loyal I was to Angel and the family. Was this the point where he would finally understand I would never betray the secrets I held close.