Chapter 14 - Part 2

I stared at the man who had taken Bruno's life and I held the gun only a few feet from his head. I wanted to be able to pull the trigger and watch his life seep away like Bruno's had. A tear slid down my cheek and I wiped it away.

"Put your hands at the back of your head," I told the man I was about to shoot. I had watched enough tv shows to know that if his hands were above his head it would be harder for him to try something.

"Please don't do this," the man pleaded. His voice broke, but it didn't break my resolve.

I shook my head. "Don't. Don't say a word."

My hand shook so bad I put by other hand beneath it to steady it. I pulled the trigger and the gun lifted. I missed my target and hit the wall behind him. If my shooting had been better he would have been dead.

"Please, please don't do this," he begged, the panic clear in his voice.

I didn't want to hear it. I wanted him to remain the enemy, the man who had taken a life I had valued. Briefly I hesitated, I didn't want to see him as a person.

This wasn't going the way I had expected. My hands shook. I expelled a nervous breath, trying to build the courage to do what I had to.

The man lifted his head, his eyes filled with tears. He was scared.

I wanted to pull the trigger and finish what I started, I wanted it more than I wanted the air in my lungs but I hesitated.

"Kira." The familiar voice washed over me, making the hairs on my skin stand up.

Angel stood in the doorway. James beside him. They took in the scene. I had run out of time.

"No," I said shaking my head, determined. I wasn't going to stop. I wasn't going to let them interfere.

Angel held his hands up and took a step closer. "Give me the gun, Kira."

"No," I yelled. My throat was sore, more tears gathered. "You lied."

There hadn't been any time to work through the betrayal I had felt. What possible reason could he have had to keep the truth from me?

I fixed my attention and the barrel of the gun on the man on his knees.

"I trusted you Angel. No matter how much I despise or hate you at times I have always been able to trust you." My eyes watered and I sniffled. "And you lied. I'll never be able to trust you again. Do you get that?"

I let out an emotional breath. "You want me to trust you with my life, but I have no trust in you anymore."

Maybe he didn't care. And that hurt me even more because even though I didn't want to admit it, I cared about him.

James moved into the room as well and I shifted away from them still aiming the gun at the man on his knees in front of me. "Stop both of you."

Angel put his hand out to James and James stopped before he retreated slowly. Angel's eyes were fixed on me but James watched my target.

"Go. Both of you. I don't need you here, I can do this on my own," I said, determined to do what I had set out to.

"This isn't you Kira. Give me the gun." Angel's tone was firm, the same tone he would use that made me feel like a child.

"I'm not a child Angel. And you need to stop treating me like one."

"Please don't do this," the man said but I pushed against any empathy I was starting to feel.

"Stop talking." I didn't want to hear another word.

Angel inched closer. There was no outward sign of anything other than calm as he tried to get closer. "Don't do this Kira."