Chapter 23 - Part 2

I didn't believe for a moment this was actually going to work. After Angel had left with James I had gone back into the house to wait until seven when security changed. Just before the time I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs.

I checked my watch. It was exactly seven, I hurried into the garage. There was no Jack to ask questions. I hurried to the car Jack usually used. My nerves were all over the place and my hands shook as I got into the car and tried to figure out how to start the car. Luckily, Jack had left the keys in the vehicle.

To ease my shaky hand I took a breath hand exhaled, giving myself a pep talk that I could do this.

I didn't consider what I would do if this didn't work, if I did I would falter and I had to keep my head to get out now while I had the chance.

When the car started I felt a moment of relief. I was closer to getting out but I still had to make it through the security at the gate. I'd only ever entered and exited the estate with a bodyguard and a driver. Would they allow me to leave without either of those?

There was only one way to find out. I found the remote for the garage and opened the door. Nervously, I eased the car out. I wasn't a confident driver and I found driving at night even more nerve wracking but I breathed through my fear, taking it slow.

I could do this. I had to do this. There was no other choice.

If I took too long then the small opening I had would close and it would be more difficult to get out of here.

I drove the car to the end of the property and slowed when I reached the big iron gates. There was only one man standing guard.

He walked over to the window to talk to me and I fumbled to find the button to lower my window.

"Mrs Knox," he greeted stiffly. My stomach tightened.

"Hi there," I murmured sweetly, trying my best to look at ease driving myself without a bodyguard in sight.

"Have a good evening," he said as he gave a brief nod, stepping back. Then the gates began to open slowly and I waited.

It was working. I felt almost giddy but kept my composure as I closed the window and waited for the gates to open before I left the property.

Looking in the rearview mirror, I couldn't stop smiling as I saw the gates disappear into the distance. Now I had to find the quickest way to Claire's to meet Kaiden.

The moment was bittersweet. I had escaped without incident but the hurt unfolding in my chest made it difficult to breathe. I loved a man who had used me for revenge, when I had believed he had done it for me. It was hard to accept but I had the facts to prove it. This wasn't a hunch, it was the truth and it was difficult to process it.

There had been a few times when I had started to believe or hope that I was reaching the part of him that might just be able to love me but I had clearly been kidding myself. I had mistaken something else entirely for what I had thought was him starting to feel something for me.

I had been such a fool even though Angel had warned me not to fall for him. Then I had a sobering thought. Is that why he had told me that? Was it because he had entered into our marriage under false pretenses? It was possible and there was no way to be sure.

I tried to stay just below the speed limit to ensure I didn't draw any unwanted attention, the quicker I got to Claire's the better.

When I arrived at Claire's house she came out to greet me with a hug.

I fought the emotion that made it difficult to say anything.

"It's okay darling," she murmured and I trembled.