Chapter 21 - Part 1

There was only one person I wanted to see after my meeting with Mr. Vincent. I knocked on the door loudly.

"I'm coming," I heard Kaiden yell as I continued to knock.

"What?" Kaiden answered, irritated but his features softened when he saw me.

"Can I come in?" I asked softly, very aware Jack was standing beside me.

Kaiden stepped aside to let me in and Jack remained outside. I bet he knew something was up but I hoped he had no idea for fear Angel would find out. I wasn't sure how he would react but I was too deep in it to think of anything else other than my own survival.

"What's wrong Kira?" my brother asked as I paced his living room.

"Is dad still here?" I peered down the hallway.

He shook his head. "I got him somewhere safe."

"Good," I breathed and sank down on the sofa.

"What's going on?" he asked and felt like I was on the verge of having a hysterical breakdown.

"I'm in trouble Kaiden." Unable to sit still I stood and began to pace again.

"You're scaring me Kira." My brother stopped me by taking hold of my arms and I finally stopped to look up at him.

"I'm scared Kaiden." I revealed in the small voice I would have used as a little girl. I just wanted someone to take control and make everything better. It was something I needed more than anything else.

"Sit down," he commanded and I did as he said.

He sat beside me. "Now tell me what's going on. I can't help you if I don't know what's going on."

I didn't even know where to start. My mind was scrambled. I wrung my hands.

My brother placed his hands over mine and I lifted my attention back to him.

"Take a breath," he instructed. "No matter how bad you think things are, there is always a solution."

I nodded, wanting to believe him.

"You are not going believe this Kaiden. I don't want to believe it." I didn't want any of it to be true. In fact, I wanted to rewind to before the visit to Claire and live in oblivion. The truth had brought me nothing but fear and angst.

"Stop babbling and calm down."

I nodded, trying my best to calm down so I could tell him what had happened.

"I went to visit Claire."

He nodded.

"And Andrew Vincent was there."

"Andrew Vincent?" he asked, questioning if he had heard me right.

I nodded vigorously. "He told me a story of how he met mom. And one thing led to another. They had an affair."

"You're kidding, right?" he asked, standing up to step away before he turned to face me again.

This time I shook my head. "I wish."

"What else did he say?"

I bit my lip as I built the courage to continue. "Mom fell pregnant."

He frowned and sat down beside me again, taking my hands in his.

I let out an heavy emotional breath. "I'm that baby."

"That's..." He couldn't even finish his sentence.

An array of emotions played across his features. "I'm sorry Kira." He hugged me and lay my head against his shoulder. I wasn't alone in this anymore. I had Kaiden.