Chapter 19 - Part 2

Everyday my thoughts chipped away at me, leaving me struggling each day. The balance of power had shifted into Angel's advantage and I was in turn at a disadvantage.

It reminded me of my mother and what had happened to her. Her journals lay untouched. I still hadn't worked up the courage to look through them.

There was a distance between us. He rarely came to bed and that left me more alone.

I went to the doctor and got myself onto some birth control. There was no way I wanted to bring a child into the mess I was trying to navigate my way through.

Then my Godmother, Claire, called. I didn't have much in the way of family other than Kaiden but Claire I considered a part of my family.

"I thought you were dead," she began the conversation. I knew better than to say anything over the phone so I suggested I go over to see her.

She had been very close to my mom, she was probably the one person who knew the contents of everything my mother had penned in her journals.

"Give me an hour to get ready and I'll be over," I said.

She agreed. I ended the call feeling excited to see Claire but nervous to tell her everything that had been going on. She and my mom had been close friends for as far back as I could remember. And without a mother figure Claire was as close as I got to a female role model.

The timing of her call wasn't lost on me. Here I was struggling to go through my mom's stuff and Claire calls to invite me over. Maybe this is exactly what I needed.

I was sitting in bed with my phone when Angel walked in. He was dressed in sweats and looked like he had just worked out.

Ever since I had broached the subject of his dead sibling there had been a coolness between us that I hadn't been able to breach. I didn't know how to get back the closeness we had experienced before and I missed it.

I had filled my emptiness with shopping and target practice. I was never going to be a crack shot but I could at least hit what I was aiming at. Angel had put James in charge of over seeing my target practice, putting more distance between us.

He paid no attention to me as he entered the bathroom. Then I heard him turn on the shower.

I so badly wanted to fix what I had broken between us. It had been the longest week.

Being ignored by my new husband was getting to me which was made worse by my feelings for him.

I dragged myself out of bed to find something to wear for my visit with Claire.

I was in between trying an outfit, dressed only in my underwear when Angel, wearing a suit, appeared in the doorway.

"You going somewhere today?" he asked.

It was the first time he had even acknowledged my presence in the last few days. And I hated how desperate I was for his attention.

"Yes." I have a one arm shrug unable to fight the urge to rile him up. "When I'm not getting any attention from my husband, I have to look for it elsewhere don't I Angel?"

It worked exactly how I intended. His featured tensed as he approached me. "You wouldn't dare?"

"Are you sure about that?" I countered. He was right, I wouldn't but I wasn't going to admit that to him.

For the first time in a good long while I had his attention and that's what I wanted more than anything.

He stalked closer, filling the room as my eyes held his. I refused to back down and he came to a stop.