Cufflinks or Tie?

Shaira was doing her part-time job. Although Vanidestines were paying her tuition and school. Shaira wanted something to be called hers, so she started a part-time job as a barista. It was damn hard to find a job here. After impressing the owner of a small cafe with her brewing skills, she grabbed the job. The pay was decent as well. Her routine was to work and save until Christmas would come and buy her a gift that she could put under her own private Christmas tree.

Her eyes wandered through the cafe when it got stuck on the calendar. Today was Nov 22. which means it marked the whole month When Shaira asked for signatures. Now about 8 months left for being 18." I need to do something fast." She thought.

Shaira's eyes furrowed when her mind constantly went to the date again. No, there is something else. She swiftly pulled out her phone and checked her memo if she had forgotten any assignment but there was nothing like that. That's when her search field interest shows-

"Happy Birthday Mr. Dexton Vanedestine- Here's how the famous business tycoon will celebrate his 30th birthday."

The news flashed right in front of Shaira's eyes. She sighed, at least it wasn't any pending assignment or work from school. His birthday does not matter to her and why would it be anyways? She huffed and went back to her with her conscience constantly knocking on her imaginative brain door.

"Shouldn't you at least wish him? after all he helped you during your anxiety attack."

"No."

"He ended Costella's whole family just for us. Why do you think he did that?"

"I don't know. Maybe he was in the mood to help me." Shaira said cleaning her table counter. She could not believe it. She was fighting with herself.

"Oh, come on, he is the reason why we are going still going to school and no one even dares to bring that video up right? I don't know what happened to us but one thing we decided when we were growing up was, we will be kind and always grateful to the people who helped us no matter who they are. When did we become so ungrateful?"

Shaira's hand stopped wiping the counter deep in thought. She sighed and leaned on the counter still thinking. She did not know what was wrong and what was right anymore. Her shift was over, and it was 6:30 pm. When she was going to the bus station. Her eyes caught a pair of cufflinks which was showcased in the nearby shop. An intricate design of gold with a black jewel in between.

" It would suit somebody perfectly." Her conscience murmured.

"I don't think that somebody would like such a cheap gift. He would probably have hundreds of these. I am not wasting my money on it." Shaira rolled her eyes. Shaira's eyes still wandered around the shop showcase.

"Screw it."

......

It was already 8:00 pm when Shaira got home but she was relieved. She knew she would not meet anyone inside as the whole Vanidestine family would have gone to a nice restaurant to have dinner which Shaira never understood because the food they eat every day would fail any Michaelian restaurant. Shaira sneezed as soon as she opened the main door. Her bomber jacket was covered in snow. Her shoulders were crying because of the heavy bag that she carried around.

"I need to come home early from tomorrow onwards." Shaira muttered as soon as she came to the kitchen to get some water. She was perched.

"Well, that's true"

Shaira choked on the water when she saw Ezra standing there in his sleek black formals with shiny shoes. "Can you stop these sneak attacks on me?" Shaira asked as her cough subside.