Chapter 24 // Surprise, Surprise

Age 30...

Vincent is typing away on his computer, answering a couple of emails as his first sixth-period student comes strolling into the classroom. Vincent sighs for his lack of preparedness and letting the time slip away from his consciousness. Hell, he didn't even finish his lunch which Hayden graciously packed for him, so now it's just cast off to the edge of his desk. Bless his husband's heart though because even though he is a pretty decent cook, Hayden sucks at time management and meal prep usually consists of microwaving something frozen and throwing it into a container for Vincent to eat. Vincent appreciates the effort nonetheless.

See, Vincent was supposed to go have lunch with the rest of the teachers in their lounge, but Vincent is disappointed to admit that socializing is a lot harder when Hayden isn't around. Truthfully, he just doesn't care for it, and yes, he knows that's a problem that he has to work on with himself, but he just didn't feel like listening to careless teacher gossip when he could respond to the emails he's been delaying.

Vincent swiftly clears his lunchtime mess and gives a small smile in greeting to the incoming students. He strides over to the whiteboard to write not only the agenda for the class but what material they are going to need.

Vincent never thought he would be in this position, but he is one of the most favorable teachers in the school. Quite frankly, he doesn't care about the title, especially since he isn't doing anything but being himself when some people often found that to be off-putting growing up, but what isn't to like about him? He's handsome, a great educator, doesn't take shit from anyone, and has a mysterious air to him that all the students want to uncover.

Everyone found him to be pretty intimidating at first, but what nobody seemed to realize about Vincent is that if you are the first to engage in conversation, he will absolutely be open with you. Vincent is someone who can relate to everyone—the athletes with his experience playing football in high school and college, the studious learners with his love of reading and history of flawless grades, the second-generation immigrants and what his life looked like growing up, and anyone in between because of the variation of likes and personalities in his friend group.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Russell!" a football player shouts happily, his crew of football friends following and displaying amiable smiles to Vincent.

"It's Russell-Williams to you, Carson," Vincent says, rolling his eyes. He knows that the student is only forgetful of Vincent's changed last name, but at the same time, he says it simply because he wants to know more.

Carson shrugs, "Are you ever going to tell us about your secret wife?" A smirk twitches at his lips.

"Are you ever going to finish the readings like I ask you to?" Vincent bites back with a grin. Carson opens his mouth but has nothing to say, his friends snickering around him lightheartedly. "That's what I thought. Get back to your desk and open your book because I know that thing is collecting dust."

Carson mumbles something under his breath but smiles on his trek back to his desk. The class finds it equally hilarious and unique that Vincent doesn't filter himself whatsoever.

"Um...Mr. Russell-Williams?" a female voice timidly says from beside him.

Vincent looks down to find one of his shyer students, Sarah.

"What's up?"

"I-I wanted to talk to you a-about my grades," she says nervously.

Vincent takes a seat in his chair, looking at Sarah patiently and urging her to continue with a supportive hand gesture.

She takes a deep breath. "I have a band concert this week, a-and I know eligibility checks are happening soon, so I was wondering if...I could do anything to raise my grade?" She then begins to ramble. "I'm sorry. I know this is a lot to ask, but I'd be willing to do absolutely anything." She then, in a meek voice, adds, "Please, Mr. Russell-Williams."