SHOT 60

Parinidhi's pov!

I rushed out of the Raichand house, keeping a tight rein on my tears.

No. I can't let them out. Not yet. Not when he is so close.

As soon as I was out of the compound I slumped against a tree and let the tears out.

My heart ached! Why? Why does he still have power over me? Why him?

Didn't I decide that I will never let him affect me anymore? What happened to all those promises I made to myself?

And him!

Why does it matter to him if I was engaged or not?

Why couldn't he simply leave me alone.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard my phone ringing.

I picked up my phone, wiping my tears and clearing my throat.

"Haa Bhadra Bua?" I asked as casually as possible.

"Where are you, Nidhi? Lakshit called. They will arrive shortly. Come home soon." Bhadra Bua said and I frowned wondering why he didn't call me. It's been a long while since I spoke to him. I speak to Divya Maa regularly on the phone, but lately, Laksh has been very busy.

A year back, he joined a prestigious company in the US and he had been working hard ever since. Divya Maa was saying that he was being considered for the MD post and him coming to India was also a part of it. But why isn't he contacting me directly?

"I am coming, Bhadra Bua. I will reach home within half an hour." I said and hung up the call.

"No, Nidhi. You are going to meet Mama and Papa after months. And you are meeting Laksh after years. Don't let that Siddharth Singh Raichand spoil the day for you." I gave myself a prep talk, before rushing home.

As soon as I entered home, I saw my parents and Lakshit in the living room. He has changed so much. So different from the boy who had left Ratnagiri with his parents.

"Papa, Mama," I rushed to my parents and hugged the life out of them. I missed them so much.

Then I turned to Laksh and rushed towards him.

"Laksh," I squealed and was about to hug him, when he raised his hands as if to ward me off.

My smile faltered seeing that.

"Laksh?"

"This shirt is so expensive, Nidhi. Don't spoil it," he said and I sucked in a sharp breath.

"What?" I asked, feeling my heart break. Wasn't he my best friend?

"I know we have been close during our childhood, Nidhi. But things have changed. I am here only because my mother forced me to. I have a status to maintain." Laksh said arrogantly.

Status!

The word I hate the most.

I stumbled back, not expecting to hear the same word from my childhood friend. Certain someone had rejected me a few days back saying that I am not up to his status. And now a friendship I had always cherished, though we had not been in regular touch, was also breaking because of my low status. Why are people so bothered about status? Aren't all human beings equal? I felt my eyes well up with tears.

Suddenly I heard Laksh laughing and looked up at him.

"Look at your face, cupcake. Okay, I admit I didn't expect such an extreme reaction. I was bracing myself for punches and kicks from you. Not this." Laksh said ,chuckling, though he was also looking confused, probably seeing the anguish in my eyes.