Taking the Crown - ✔

Butch and Victor get to work, leaving Oswald and me alone for a moment. It's only now that I finally relax. I rest my chin in my hand, observing the grand meeting room. There's a large fireplace against the wall. I want to imagine winter curled up beside my newfound lover. Instead, I'm left with the stench of thugs.

"Are you going to tell your mother about this?"

His lips purse into a line, frustrated that I ruined his victorious moment. "Only if I need to. What would I tell her? Hey, Mom. Guess what? I'm the head of Gotham's mob. Surprise!"

"I don't know," I say. "I don't understand why she's kept in that nappy complex while you're living in a mansion.

"I've begged her to move before. She's too attached to it. She thinks there's too much memory there. Believe me, Sera. I've tried."

Jim and I used to speak of our mother so fondly. Now, we don't bother to. Think of the devil, and he shall appear.

"Hello?"

"Where are you?"

"Where am I?" I laugh off is serious tone. "Well, I'm— I'm actually not sure. Oswald?"

"She's at my place, Jim! She's safe."

I can sense my brother's anger through the phone. "You just told me you were done with the gang world. Penguin is a part of that world, in case you've forgotten!"

"It's— it's complicated, Jim."

I don't want to let either of them down. Once again, Jim's forcing me to become the lost, wayward sister. And I'm exploring something with Oswald that I haven't felt in a long time. If I leave, I could be walking out on some of the best times of my life— my possibly very short life.

"I don't want to be a part of the gang."

Cobblepot seems shocked.

"But I'm tied by affiliation, now. I hate the things they do," I confess. "I'm surrounded by liars and killers but I'm also surrounded by my best friends."

"They're not your real friends. Do you think psychopaths can feel that kind of loyalty?"

"You don't know everything, Jim." I sigh through the phone. "We've been over this a thousand times before. Please, I'm tired of this broken record."

"What if Penguin doesn't want you around anymore? You're leverage against him. He'll throw you out like trash."

"That's where you're wrong, old friend. I understand you don't think highly of me, but you must believe I am better than that."

Jim is fuming. "This is unbelievable. This little flirtation better end soon. Meet me at Oswald's tomorrow night and tell me your final decision. Do you choose him or me?"

He hangs up before I can protest. Oswald sits beside me in silence, letting me process. Not once does he bring up the fact that I called him a liar and a murderer.

"Good afternoon everyone!" I greet the crowd of doctors and nurses from the top of my warehouse. "I hope you're doing well."

Falcone's— now Penguin's— injured thugs still rest on the bottom floor.

"Please leave all of your equipment with the nice men holding guns. I'm assigning one doctor and one nurse to every patient in this warehouse. Your job is to heal your patient. The catch? Well, you can only use the supplies in the medical closet over there."

After dividing them among the injured, I send them to work. Like ravage dogs, they sprint to the closet.

"Don't forget to share! If this family is going to work, you need to be in cooperation with your peers. Every death is on your heads. I know some of you couldn't care less about these people, but I do."