Knots - ✔

"Is your mind always on food? Yes, table for— how many, Sera?"

I quickly count heads. "Nine."

Jim and I sit at the end, Oswald and Lee sit across from each other, Butch and Harvey sit parallel, and Sharon's clan fills in the rest.

"That was a great service."

The gang seems to agree.

"Now," Uncle Mark begins, "is this your boyfriend?"

Cobblepot and I briefly exchange glances. To my surprise, he answers before I do.

"Yes, I am."

That sends Matthew into a fit of giggles. His laughter spreads like a contagious virus, spreading almost immediately down the table. In what feels like no time at all, our orders are taken and food is served.

I've never understood why children inhale their food. When I bring the first spoonful to my mouth, Matthew's already finished and ready to be entertained.

"Can I sit in your lap, Sera?" The boy slides between our chairs.

Sharon objects. "Let her eat!"

"He's fine! I don't mind."

As soon as the words leave my mouth, Matthew climbs onto my left leg.

My aunt shoots her son a warning glare. "If you bother her, you're coming back to me."

This is everything I've always wanted. Jim and I are actually enjoying each other's company. Oswald is actually being pleasant around my brother. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. I'm surrounded by family and friends, and for once, none of them are fighting.

"Are you okay?" Matthew asks. "You don't look okay."

Even though I laugh him off, I know it's never going to stay like this. My brother and boyfriend will always be sworn enemies. I catch it in between the nervous glances between my brother and his partner. I see it in the way Butch occasionally scans the entrances. So why are they even here?

"Thank you for the meal, young man."

Oswald waves off my aunt. "It was my pleasure."

Harvey gives him a firm pat on the back. "Maybe I'll tell my boys to give you a ten-minute head-start."

"We're only a few weeks away from moving! We signed the lease just yesterday. Is there any way you could take him for a night or two when we get here? Mark and I will able to get more things unpacked without him roaming everywhere."

"It would be my pleasure."

"You plan on keeping him at your house, right?" Oswald inquires once we're in the car.

"Right," I say. "I would never let a child sleep over at your mansion. There no way."

"It's just too busy. Do you mind if we stop by my mother's place?"

"Not at all."

The last time I saw Gertrud Kapleput, she tried to set me up with her son. I guess it worked, for here we are. I hadn't even considered her son in such a way until she suggested it.

I'm thrown back to Hungary upon entering the apartment. It looks just as it did when I was here before.

"Mother?" Penguin walks into the first room. "Mom?"

"Yes, my little Oswald?" Gertrud comes bustling from around a door. "Oh, you've brought your friend!"

"I have," he embraces his mother. This time, he shows only slightly less affection than before.