Chapter Sixteen

The Yule Ball - Part Two

~Narrator~

Arden stood up and looked down at Harry. Harry knew in that moment what her answer would be. He felt a small sting in his chest, but looked at her hopefully. Arden's stomach was in knots, and her hands were trembling like crazy. She didn't know what to do. She knew what Hermione was thinking before, if she says yes to Harry, their friendship would crumble. If she says no, things would be awkward. Her relationship with Harry either way was going to be affected, and Arden couldn't get over that. After what seemed like a few minutes to Arden, she spoke the truth.

"Harry, I'm sorry I just don't like you that way... You're one of my best friends, I don't want to ruin that." Arden said with all the sincerity in her. Harry nodded.

"I've just had a crush on you for a really long time..." He mumbled.

"I'm sorry Harry, I just don't feel the same way." She took Harry's hands and held onto them tightly. "I don't want to be your girlfriend for about two weeks, then break up and have things be awkward between us. You and I have a really close friendship, and that's something I wouldn't change for the world." She said. Harry felt the sting fade away. She was right, their friendship meant the world to him and he would never want to ruin it. Harry nodded, accepting how Arden feels, but still wishing she'd reciprocate his feelings.

Arden leant down and kissed Harry's cheek to make him feel better. Harry's cheeks turned bright pink, and he smiled as she walked away. Harry accepted that Arden wouldn't feel the same way, but still wondered what it would be like if she had said yes.

Arden sighed of relief as she left, she didn't think that letting Harry down would go so smoothly. She felt bad for him, but Arden wasn't going to pretend to love someone to make them happy, it's just not right. Arden left the icy white hall and into the stairwell. She sat at the top of the stairs and kicked off her heels. Arden's night was a bummer, and it was only 7:30pm. 

She watched couples smile and laugh as they enjoyed each other's company. Arden couldn't help but feel upset. A night designed to be so perfect for everyone, turned out to be a night of rejecting a friend and sore feet. Arden sat silently, thinking to herself about how fun Draco must be having right now. Maybe he's ditched Pansy and now he's off tormenting first years with Blaise. Wasn't the nicest of acts, but it made him smile.

Draco's smile... Arden blushed thinking about it. She's rarely seen the genuine expression on his face, but it had become more common the more she hung around him. Arden remembered the moment when Draco gave her flowers, as a 'joke'. She giggled to herself, remembering how much he's changed since school had started this year. Arden kept smiling, remembering how sweet the moment they shared in Hogsmeade was -before she regrettably rejected him-. 

"Don't you look pretty, Diggory." A voice teased. Arden turned around and saw the boy she had been thinking about, Draco Malfoy. She put her shoes back on and stood up.

"Nice play on words there, Draco." She teased back. Draco smirked, putting his hands in his pant pockets. Draco felt a blush creep onto his cheeks the longer he looked at her. Draco quickly looked down, trying to hide the shades of pink on his face.

"Erm, what are you doing up here alone?" Draco managed to ask. Draco stepped down to be on the same step as her, although he still towered over her by a few inches even if she wore heels.

"I'm just not having fun." Arden sighed. She looked away from Draco and looked at Hermione having the time of her life in the hall. Draco put his hand on Arden's cheek lightly, and turned her head to face his. Arden almost fell down the stairs from the electric feeling, and Draco couldn't believe how how soft her perfect skin was.