20.

"Girl, spill. You got me on edge."

Yuri and I were at a little café close to my house, drinking coffee and just talking. I'd told her I had a confession and had been walking circles around it this whole time. I sighed, "soo, what if I told you." I paused, not saying anything as a smile played on my face.

"Jo, if you don't stop playing with me I'm going to jump across this table."

I started laughing, "okay, okay."

"Okay! Tell me."

I decided I would tell Yuri first so she could help me with a way to tell my brother. I knew it wouldn't go over too well, but at the same time she would have my back. I cleared my throat as I took a sip of my coffee, "so what if I've been messing with one of the Hispanics?"

She rolled her eyes, "messing how Jo?"

"Like, talking to one."

"Talking like friendly or talking like fucking?"

I pushed a hair behind my ear, looking down at my coffee. "The latter."

"Bitch, you been fucking one of them niggas? I fucking knew it! That's the only thing that made sense on why you wasn't feeling Quez but couldn't tell me why."

I shook my head, "no, not even."

"Yes it is. Who is it?"

"That's not important."

She gave me a stale face, "the hell it ain't. Who is it?"

I rolled my eyes as a text came through on my phone, Yuri picked it up quickly, easily finding her answer. "Jose?" She semi-screamed. "The fucking leader of this gang shit." She shook her head as she put my phone back down, allowing me to pick it up and check the message. "You're brother is going to kill you and him."

I rolled my eyes at her, "you're being dramatic he was fucking Isabel in the middle of the worst of the shit. How much can he really say."

Yuri shook her head in disapproval, "let me know how that conversation goes. I know it's not going to go well."

"He isn't my daddy." I stated after responding to the text and locking my phone. "All this shit is stupid anyways."

"It is, but that don't change the fact that it's real."

I rolled my eyes at Yuri's response yet again. "Listen," she started, "I want you to be happy, and if he makes you happy I'm all for it. But I also care about your safety. Like I don't need no shady shit going down ya know?"

I nodded my head, understanding where she was coming from. "Good," I said with a smile. "So I need your help on how I should break it to my brother."

Yuri laughed, "girl it don't matter if you flip it, dice it, sauté it, it's going to taste the same. You just gon' have to tell him."

"How should I bring it up though?"

Yuri shrugged her shoulders as she played with the top off of her cup, "I really don't know Johanna," she said as she looked up at me. "You just got to spit that shit out. Whenever there's an open opportunity just say it." She said with a small laugh.

I shook my head, this was going to be a mess.

__

"What you want to eat tonight?" Joel asked as we sat on the couch watching some nonsense on TV.

I bit my lip knowing I was going to meet Jose at this restaurant later. Whenever there's an open opportunity just say it.  Yuri's words rang in my head. "I'm actually going out to eat."