The Grossest Creation

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Even if there was no barrier blocking them from continuing down the hallway, (f/n) wanted to find another way out. She did have the benefit of not being the one to walk through it, but she had a sneaking suspicion that Nick didn't wish to set a foot down that way. (F/n) closed her eyes and hid her face against Nick's neck. It didn't help that the wretched smell of remains filled the air.

Her hand clutched tightly around the flashlight, and she whispered, "I really want to get out now." That had been a given the whole time that she was in the tunnels, but the desire was never stronger.

Nick leaned his head against hers briefly. "W-we're al-almost o-out," he stuttered, trying to be reassuring as possible. She appreciated it, but that didn't erase the scene in front of them. When he moved his head away, he walked over to Tara. He set (f/n) down, and she brought her knees to her chest and kept her eyes closed.

Tara had her hands on her head, and the blood had drained from her face. Nick knelt down in front of his friend and rested his hands on her shoulders. She didn't respond at all; she only mumbled incoherent things. He shook her shoulders some, and, slowly, she looked up. "Nic-Nick, tha-that's ... I don-don't wan-want to walk thr-through that."

"I know. I don't either, but you're going to have to. (F/n) can't walk on her left leg, so I can't carry you across. You can hold onto me, though, if you need to. We need to get out of here before the creature decides to attack again."

Tears started to run down her cheeks, and sobs were on their way next. Gradually, she nodded, and Nick helped her up to her feet. Her legs were weak from fear, shock and disgust, and Nick had to hold her up before she regained her balance. He handed her flashlight to her, and she could barely shine it on the scene ahead. It was too gruesome.

After he picked up (f/n), he walked beside Tara. (F/n) kept her eyes closed and turned off her flashlight. She had seen enough of Laura and Brent in their deceased states. Even though she couldn't see what they were walking through, she could hear it. Nick would lose his footing occasionally on the slippery ground. The sounds of things squashing under their feet made her stomach turn. Among all of this, she heard another dreadful sound: soft footfalls.

Neither Nick nor Tara stopped. They broke out into a careful run so as not to slip. Hesitantly, (f/n) opened her eyes and glanced behind her. She couldn't see him in the darkness, but she could hear his feet slap against the bloody ground. (F/n) looked forward again and saw the turn up ahead. The stairs would be after that, and they could get out. Or, that's what she would like to think. With the creature so close, it was unlikely, but she didn't want to give up hope.

When they made the turn, they heard the creature break out into a sprint. Nick and Tara hurried up the stairs. (F/n) turned on her flashlight and set it on high power. She shone it back, and it illuminated the creature rounding the corner. The light stopped him for a moment before he shielded his eyes and continued forward. More light was required.

Managing to reach into Nick's jacket and pull out his, she turned the brightness on full as well. This stunned the creature again, and they were now halfway up the stairs. The creature was at the bottom. A hiss lift his lips as he took one step up at a time. At this rate, Nick and she would reach the top of the stairs way before the creature. Tara was already there. "Wait, Tara!" Nick called out, and she halted.