chapter one

01 ; BAKERY BOY

01 ; BAKERY BOY

Mellark is his family name, can't make up his first name though.

     ─ 𝐆𝐚𝐥𝐞 𝐇𝐚𝐰𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐞

────────────────────

MY GREEN EYES are focusing on every movement, the deer in front me decides to make. My breath fights against the cold air in the forrest. My feet standing still, being one with the ground.

We don't have much to brag about in twelve, it's the smallest and poorest out of all districts but our forest is mine and my family's life saviour. Or should I say for who's left of my family.

It's just me and my brother to be exact. We lost both of our parents now almost two years ago. They always fought against the law, until the Capitol and our President decided to end the fights and pull the trigger.

I learned my archery skills from my brother and his best friend, so I could look after myself while Ace would be away. We are the best hunters in our District and many families buy our animals, such as squirrels or wild rabbits, occasionally deer.

Even the peacekeepers have been buying from us even though hunting isn't legal.

We bring the hunted animals back to sell or trade at the Hob. The Hob is our black market. It is known as the only place in twelve to buy and sell banned items, such as spirits, poached game, or other goods illegally obtained.

The peacekeepers comprise a gendarmie which is controlled by the Capitol, and tasked with maintaining order throughout the nation of Panem. They essentially act as the government's internal security force in the various Districts. Even though some of them are guilty of murdering my parents, they never faced justice. Typical.

Suddenly the deer moves and I was about to shoot the bow when someone came up behind me. The bow misses the deer and the animal runs away, further into the wild forest.

"Damn it, Gale. The peacekeepers would pay a fortune to get a deer for dinner." I groaned, hitting him gently into his side.

Gale Hawthorne. My brother's best friend. I know him since I can remember, so he's kind of like another big brother for me, always looking after me. The Hawthorne family has always been there for me and Ace, especially after the death of our parents.

Gale chuckled softly while shrugging his shoulders, showing me his pearly white teeths. "I was just looking for you. Your brother is waiting for you back home."

"Because of the reaping?"

Gale nods.

"But it's tomorrow."

I sighed heavily. The worst day in the entire year is coming up and I'm so not looking forward to it.