chapter twenty

20 ; CORNUCOPIA

20 ; CORNUCOPIA

Promise me to meet me here when the sun goes down and colours the trees orange.

— Cato Hadley

───────────────────

I JUST STARE at Rue's lifeless body for way too long before my own body functions again.

"I'm sorry," I whimper, leaning down to her corpse to embrace her body for another time before my emotions take the best of me. The tears stream down my face while I keep looking at the way too young girl.

Me and Cato laid her down carefully and the boy from District 2 tries his best to calm me down, rubbing my back lovingly. "She's gone, all because I wasn't able to protect her."

"It's not your fault, buttercup."

Cato started but I didn't listen to him while my emotions take over my entire body. I get flashbacks of my parents getting dragged away from me and Ace when we were younger. I failed to protect mum and dad and now I failed to protect Rue from getting killed.

"We.. we can't leave her like that.. She deserves better," I stutter while standing up. Cato looks up at me. I must look horrible with my swollen and red eyes but I couldn't care less.

He just nods before standing up himself and grabbing around his sword. He takes one last glance at Marvel's corpse and I do the same. I walk over to Marvel's Body and pull out the now bloody arrow coldly.

Cato then follows me not even knowing where I'm going but he doesn't ask me about it, which I couldn't thank him enough for.

It doesn't take long for us to return to Rue's body. I plucked some blue flowers from a field close where she got killed and I lay them into her tiny hands. The colour of the flowers remind me of the dress she wore when we had our interviews with Caesar.

I kiss her forehead one last time before standing up again. "Good bye, Rue." I whisper before I look up at Cato. He pulls me into a hug and kisses the top of my head. I'm glad he's here or otherwise I would loose my mind.