chapter twenty-seven

27 ; BACK TO TWELVE

27 ; BACK TO TWELVE

They must be really proud of you .

— President Snow

────────────────────     

I RUN OFF the stage, hearing the District 2 boy behind me walking down the stairs.

"Ophelia, wait!" He calls after me, but so quietly for only me to hear.

I turn around at that, glaring at him before I snap back at him. "So now you can talk."
The tall boy looks down at while look up at him, waiting for him to continue to talk. I could spot the marks on his neck which Peeta left there, even though it's well covered with makeup.

Cato opens his mouth to reply but then Brutus and Haymitch walk over to us with bright smiles on their faces.

"Good show, sweetheart." Haymitch smiles softly before hugging me. Brutus claps Cato's shoulder proudly while he gratulates him.

Cato and his mentor leave shortly after. The boy's eyes never leaving mine.

–•–

Right after the interview, Haymitch dragged me to the coronation with President Snow.

Me and Cato sit on golden chairs next to eachother on the high balcony where I first saw President Snow at the Tribute parade. It feels like ten years ago but at the same time it feels like it just happened yesterday.

Cato tries to speak to me while President Snow talks to the crowd and whole Panem who's watching us in this moment.

"Save it," I snap at him, not looking at him one time. Cato wants to speak up once again but then President Snow turns around, holding around a golden crown, matching my dress. Loud music fills the air for the coronation.

I stand up just like Haymitch told me before and Cato does the same when the white haired men walks towards me, holding carefully around the crown. I glare at Snow coldly, while he puts the crown on my head gently.

"Congratulations."

His voice sends shivers down my spine but I keep my poker face, just glaring at him while his ice coloured eyes pierced my soul.

"Thank you." I answered coldly. It's not like twenty-two other kids just got killed for the sake of him.

His eyes then went down to look at my necklace, he reaches out to touch it gently. "It's really beautiful."

"Thank you, it's from my District." I answer, my gaze never leaving him while I speak softly. I feel Cato's eyes on me while I talk to President Snow.

"They must be really proud of you." He replies coldly with a blank gaze. It sounds to me like a veiled threat.

I don't answer, instead I just gulp when President Snow turns his back to me to get Cato's crown. I watch every move President Snow makes while he gratulates Cato on winning the Games.

I didn't speak to Cato during the coronation neither afterwards.

I had to say goodbye to Effie, Cinna and the prep team since all of them are staying in the Capitol. Haymitch and myself take the train to get back to District 12.

Home.

I stand there, looking out of the window while the Capitol gets smaller with every second passing.

I did it, I'll be able to see Ace and Gale again. I try my best to push Cato into the back of my mind while thinking about going home but it doesn't work.

"You alright?"

It's Haymitch, walking up to me and stopping when he's right next to me. I smell the scent of alcohol.

I stand still, keeping my mouth shut. Haymitch is obviously hiding something from me, it's obvious.

"He lives in two, you in twelve. Did you really think it was gonna work?"

I turn my head to look at the men standing there. His blonde hair messy while his blue eyes stare at me.

I chuckle sarcastically. "I'm sorry you never experienced love before but don't you dare trying to make me feel bad because I feel something."

Haymitch keeps his mouth shut. "He made me feel alive in there, don't you get it? Hell, I didn't care who he is or which District he's from."

I raised my voice before stepping away from the window to get back to my room on the train. But Haymitch grabs around my arm. "You're new to the business, so keep your pretty mouth shut about things you don't know about."

I just glare at him before leaving a wasted Haymitch behind me.

It feels like years passed by when I finally hear one of the Avoxes knocking on the bedroom door, meaning we arrived in District 12. I feel weak, I didn't really eat since I got out of the Games, well which means my last proper dinner was before the Games, sharing it with Peeta.

I check myself in the mirror before stepping out of the room to get to the large windows, where Haymitch awaits me already. The whole District is standing in front of the train, screaming my name proudly. I try my best to smile, waving at them while my eyes scan the crowd for Ace and Gale.

That's when I see my brother, close to the front row next to Gale who's carrying Posy on his shoulders. My fake smile vanishes, instead the real smile takes over once I spot them.

"Hey, brother." I whisper against the window.

I'm home. It's over.

───────────────────

AUTHOR NOTE

This is it guys, the ending of the first book is right here. I know this was the shortest and crappiest chapter ever but I thought the ending was perfect right here.

This has been a crazy time for me, I never thought anyone would actually be interested of reading my story. I want to dedicate this book to all of you, the support has been overwhelming for me.

I hope you don't mind all the spelling mistakes and the wrong grammar and you're interested in the sequel to Promises coming up soon.

I will add an announcement chapter in this book when the sequel is published to let you all know. I hope you all return to hear the story of Ophelia in the second book.

thanks again! xoxo