chapter fifteen

15; BLOODBATH

15; BLOODBATH

Stay alive, sweetheart.❜

─ 𝐇𝐚𝐲𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐀𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐲

─────────────────────

THE DAY IS here. The Games start today.

We got woken up early for the preperation for the Games and the styling. We got shaved everywhere and got injected a yellow serum which stops hair growing for a year to make us look pretty in front of camera. The boys won't be able to grow a beard as well, which will look more presentable and put-together if you ask the Capitol citizens.

But which bothers me the most was the ocean blue serum only girls get injected to stop the our periods. I know I shouldn't worry about never being able to carry out my own child because I won't make it out of the arena anyway.

After the preperation Octavia from my prep team helped me get into the arena uniform. The coal black v-neck Shirt matches the same coloured boots. The boots are made of soft leather and had a narrow, flexible rubber sole, I already question myself how I'm able to run fast enough with those.

The olive green cargo pants were a bit to big for me, so they had to exchange them. I sighed, knowing how I starved almost to death back home and even though I ate here more than enough I still don't fit in most of the clothing.

Octavia brought me to Haymitch after Flavius styled my carob brown hair into a high slicked back ponytail. My mentor pulls me into a tight hug once we were alone in the room, but it only took a few more seconds before the door opened again with Peeta and Effie standing in the door frame.

I smile at them and walk over to Peeta to embrace him in a hug. He holds in for a second before wrapping his strong arms around my fragile body as well, sighing. I pull away and look at my district partner for a second before Effie takes our attention.

The escort grabs around mine and Peeta's hands, squeezing them gently. "For the first time I feel emotionally attached to my tributes. Me and Haymitch will do everything in our power to help you win those games. Both of you are unique and likeable, the sponsors will easily fall for you."

Effie tears up and let's go of our hands to wipe away the tears forming at the corner of her blue eyes. I pull her in a tight hug and whisper a thank you before letting go again. She smiles at me and I return the smile.

Haymitch turns to me and Peeta to give us advice for the last time. He smells for the first time not like a bottle of whiskey. "Run away as fast as you can once the countdown ends. There will be a bloodbath so stay away from the Cornucopia."

Both of us nod when suddenly the door opens, revealing a peacekeeper, which means we have to leave.

I hug Haymitch tightly for the last time while he whispers to me. "Stay alive, sweetheart."