chapter two

02 ; THE REAPING

02 ; THE REAPING

Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor! 

𝐄𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐞𝐭 

────────────────────

THE MORNING SUN  tickles my nose, waking me up. I stretch my body while a long yawn comes from my chapped lips. I slowly sit up on my mattress, looking around my empty room. A small bed, a mirror, a wardrobe and some curtains. That's it.

Sometimes I wonder how my room would look like if I wasn't from twelve but from the Capitol. People there have money to wear a different hair colour every single day of the year and we don't even have warm water to wash ourselves.

I shook my head at those thoughts before getting up, walking quietly out of my room, catching my jacket to go out and pump some water to wash myself for the reaping today.

My heart skips a beat at the thought of hearing my name or in the worst case the name of someone I love today.

It's gonna be fine, all of you are gonna be home safe tonight. I thought to myself.

I dragged the full bucket of water back inside, hanging up my jacket and getting into the bathroom.

The room is as empty as my room and any other room in our house. There's a small mirror, a little table, bath towels and a tub in the middle of the room. I stripped down before sitting into the tub carefully and grabbing the soap from the table. I start to scrub my body the best I could with the soap we have left.

I drifted off thinking of the reaping while the cold water from the bucket left goosebumps all over my body. I wash the soap out of my brown long hair before getting up carefully, taking a towel to wrap it around my naked, cold body.

I stand in front of the mirror, looking at myself while the water drops down from my body onto the cold ground. I study every detail of myself, sighing.

I never liked to get ready for the reaping, but since my mum died it's gotten worse. She used to manage everything so well, knew what dress I should wear or how I should wear my hair.

"Are you in here, O?"

Ace. I completely forgot the time while thinking about the past. I quickly shake off the thoughts before walking to the door, opening it.

"The bath is all yours," I chirped, leaving him chuckling to himself while I was walking back into my room to finally get ready.

I toss my dirty clothes onto the floor before looking at my wardrobe, not really something to brag about though. Just the most important things to wear inside of here. I sold most of my favorite things at the Hob, our black market.