chapter twelve

12; BLOODY NOSE

12; BLOODY NOSE

Your prep team did a good job on you.❜      

─ 𝐂𝐚𝐭𝐨 𝐇𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐞𝐲

────────────────────

THE COLD AIR on the roof top wanders over my body, leaving everywhere goosebumps. I take a deep breath before stepping out of the elevator.

He's not here yet. What if it's been a trap from the beginning?

I stand right on the edge as always. My eyes taking in the beauty of the city lights. I should've listen to Haymitch. After all he has been a mentor for twenty-four years, he knows who to trust and who to avoid. But then suddenly I heard the elevator opening again. The sound of it made me turn around.

Cato.

I tried my best to hide a smile but I was more than relieved to actually see him up here. I didn't show any emotion from the outside though, still unsure what this boy has in mind.

"I didn't think you'd show up."

Cato walked up to me till he stood right beside me which made me turn around again. The smell of him already felt familiar, which was more than absurd but I couldn't help the feeling.

"Me neither."

I didn't look at him, my eyes still focused on the city lights of the Capitol. "Why did you want to meet me up here?"

"Listen, I don't know what your strategies are and I don't believe your training score was done proberly. Something's wrong about you."

I furrowed my eyebrows before chuckling to myself, finally facing the tall boy. "The one training his whole life to kill others in a stupid arena is talking about how something's wrong about me?"

"You clearly hide something.. There's something about you I can't explain."

I rolled my eyes, he just ignored what I said. He wanted to meet again to find out if I was playing something I'm not. Well, he got the wrong girl here. I turned myself around to walk back to the elevator but Cato grabs around my hand.

"I'm not letting you leave for the third time, Ophelia."

This is the first time he actually called me by my name. I didn't think he would remember it though.

"What is up with you and the boy from twelve?"

"What?" I started to laugh at that question, obviously caught off guard. Me and Peeta?

"Are you calling me a fool? All of the other tributes have been talking, Ophelia."

Hold on. Who would make that up?