Chapter 18

{A}

Being an outsider was often lonely. Ariel was aware of what it was like to be different. People pointed and stared often. She couldn't hold it against anyone. Sometimes people couldn't understand what differences were and for the most part Ariel was okay with that. She could handle being singled out sometimes and she was glad that she had friends. But that did not mean she never felt lonely.

Standing in front of her locker she sighed. Once again someone had hung a small rag doll in her locker. Her hair was similar to hers there was an A on the school uniform she was wearing and there was also a noose on her neck.

"Don't look at it." She thought to herself ripping it off her locker and stuffing it into her bag.

Lately she had not been feeling very well. She felt restless and there was a feeling deep inside her chest that made her want to cry. Opening her locker Ariel tried to busy herself with stuffing books in and out of her locker trying to avoid her own thoughts. The truth was, she couldn't avoid what she was feeling.

"What did I do wrong?" Ariel questioned to herself while thinking of Ji Hoo. She had not had the courage to call him and ask. She was afraid of what he would say to her and she would be lying if she said her feelings weren't hurt.

"Hey! Freak show!" Jumping at hearing Ray's voice Ariel looked up afraid. Instead, Ray, Autumn and the rest of her bullies all walk past her but not before giving her nasty looks.

Watching her tormentors walk away Ariel watched as a girl she had never seen before walked through the halls. She was tall, reminding Ariel of a model, her hair was mousey brown, and her deep chocolate eyes were hidden by large glasses. Paralyzed she watched as the girl was surrounded. But when Ariel saw her flinch she walked on her own towards them just as they took her bag.

"Leave her alone." Ariel spoke up,

"Stay out of it Lee." Summer spoke pushing Ariel down and causing her to fall flat on her butt.

While Ariel was afraid, in fact she was shaking she couldn't allow someone else to be bullied like she was. For just a moment she had been paralyzed and even contemplated being a by standard, simply watching on and doing nothing. These thoughts quickly left when she realized she would be like everyone else by not standing up for someone in trouble.

"I won't." Ariel spoke standing up.

"We don't want to play with you today Lee! Stay out of it." Ray snapped but instead Ariel stood in front of the girl who remained silent.

"Move!" Ray snapped and when she refused his eyes blazed in anger and he raised his fist, to strike her.

"Enough!"

Ariel had closed her eyes to wait for the hit but when she opened her eyes Jae Ha was standing in front of her.

"Stay out of this." Autumn spoke to Jae Ha.

"I won't."

"We're not afraid of you. You're just like us. You can't even protect one witch what makes you think you can protect another gremlin like her" Summer who had been quiet spoke.

"Keep to your business much like you've always done Jae Ha." Gook threatened Jae Ha who glared clenching his fists.

"You're picking on them. I'm right here watching this is my business."

"You won't always be here." Ha Na spoke up as well.

"Let's leave. We're causing too big of a scene and teachers will get called," Autumn spoke up. Before parting however, it was Ha Na who spoke up.