Chapter 22: First Goodbyes

{Y.J}

Preparations were being done for both he and Ariel to leave. Yi Jeong was sad to leave but at the same time, he was glad to go away. Keeping a promise not only to himself but to Ga Eul was important. Hearing someone walk out through the living room and towards the kitchen caused Yi Jeong to sigh. Sitting up from his own bed he headed to the kitchen.

"Can't sleep?" Yi Jeong questioned Ariel.

"I'm sorry." She whispered the teapot was on the stove, heating water up while she sat on the kitchen counted, dark circles under her eyes.

"Wasn't your prom tonight?" Yi Jeong questioned.

"I didn't have a date.' She spoke quietly.

"Besides," She shrugged.

"I'm not interested in going to a dance where half the people hate me and the other half are afraid of me."

"Dances are stupid," Ariel muttered.

"Is that really what's on your mind?" Yi Jeong questioned going to sit beside her.

"Not really." She whispered.

"Look, I don't know what's going on with you and Ji Hoo because this is what it's about isn't it?"

Yi Jeong could see the look of pain in Ariel's eyes while she looked away, fighting back tears. Yi Jeong felt bad for her.

"Is it that obvious?" She questioned causing Yi Jeong to chuckle.

"Yes."

"You shouldn't worry too much about Seo Hyun. She's a married woman." Yi Jeong spoke, trying to comfort Ariel.

"That may be but... It doesn't matter. I'm leaving anyway right?" She spoke wiping at her tears.

"You don't want to leave without telling him how you feel. You'll regret it. And regret is something that you don't want to have when it comes to telling someone your feelings." Yi Jeong spoke to her.

"It won't matter. My feelings don't count when I know Ji Hoo sempai loves Seo Hyun."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that." Yi Jeong thought to himself.

"I'm happy just being friends," Ariel spoke though Yi Jeong knew she was trying to convince herself and not him.

The sound of the pot whistling alerted Ariel who turned off the stove.

"Tea?" She questioned Yi Jeong who nodded.

"How are you dealing with leaving?" She questioned pouring tea for Yi Jeong.

"I'm happy to go. This is a good opportunity."   

"And Ga Eul?"

"I'll miss her. That's what makes me sad. But we need time apart. I need to leave here." Yi Jeong admitted.

"It has nothing to do with you or Aunt and Uncle." Yi Jeong spoke quickly not wanting to offend Ariel.

"I know. You wouldn't still be living here and sleeping on a sofa bed if you hated being here."

"Of course... It helps when you have Ga Eul as your neighbor right?" Ariel spoke cheekily causing Yi Jeong to chuckle.

"But as I said. I know what you mean. I want to leave too. I want to discover other parts of myself, I want to know what it's like to be on my own, start fresh, make new friends. Maybe find love again." Ariel spoke wistfully.

"That doesn't mean I want to leave my parents behind or that I want to forget about my parents. And I know that you love Ga Eul and you want to come back to her."