ELEVEN

featuring:

KEITH POWERS as beau tucker

NEW ORLEANS, LA
JUNE 13th
ONE YEAR AND THREE MONTHS BEFORE MEETING ROBIN
13:47 p.m.

It was no secret that Noelle was adopted. I mean, come on. An Asian woman and a white man do not create a black woman. Noelle never questioned about her biological family because Andrea and Dennis were her true parents, no matter what.

But when the first text came through, Noelle couldn't resist wanting to meet the man that called himself her biological brother. She didn't even know she had a brother. She doubted Andrea and Dennis knew either or they for sure would have adopted the both of them.

There were many reasons Noelle felt the need to meet Beau Tucker: medical history (what if she was susceptible to some genetic disease?), ancestral roots, and what happened to Beau after their biological parents died.

Whatever the reason, Noelle lied to her parents about going to summer camp and instead flew to where she was supposed to meet Beau Tucker in New Orleans, Louisiana.

She easily concluded that the South was a lot warmer than the North.

It was common sense. Places closer to the equator are bound to be warmer, but it still surprised Noelle for some reason.

New Orleans was booming despite the hot summer day. Noelle could already feel the pit stains form and couldn't help but feel grateful for choosing to do braids for the summer.

Gathering her braids, she uses a rubber band to loosely bind them back, keeping them out of her face momentarily.

Cafe Du Monde, she reminds herself as the map on her phone shouts out directions. The crowd of people was intimidating at most, but Noelle knew to keep her head down and ignore them.

The map shuts off after alerting her she's at her destination. She looks up, struggling to search through the sea of people to find the semi-familiar face.

"Noelle!" The deep Southern voice calls out. Noelle turns, toward it, greeted by a tall man frantically waving his arm in excitement. He's standing between two duos of people, the line for the cafe.

She lets out a nervous breath before forcing herself toward him. With a shaky smile, Noelle stops in front of him.

She could see the similarities. There weren't many, which seemed a little weird, but they were there. Their eyes, for example, were the same shape and shade of dark brown. His skin was slightly darker compared to hers, but that may have something to do with his constant exposure to the sun.

"I want to hug you but I'm not sure if that would be too much," Beau admits.

"No, that's okay," Noelle finds herself saying. It was hard to pay attention. How could it not be? After being separated for thirteen years, the two were finally meeting each other again.