EIGHTEEN

WAYNE GALA
NOVEMBER 19th
17:57 p.m.

Damian was feeling, what he imagined to be, a combination of dread and excitement at the thought of seeing his girlfriend at the gala.

He always loved to see Noelle. She's been the light in, what was recently, cloudy days. She's the reason he's so hellbent on doing his job. He'd do anything to keep her safe.

But Noelle being here means she's only a few minutes closer to meeting his father, and that was simply dreadful.

Damian conjured up many possibilities of the outcome of their meeting. There was the most realistic one: Father would approve of Noelle but remain indifferent. Then there was the worst-case scenario: Father hates her and forces them to stay apart. Best case scenario: Noelle is treated by Father like she's treated by his brothers. Annoying, but the most positive. And finally, the one Damian secretly wishes to happen: Father approves of Noelle and shows constant support for the two.

Unfortunately, the last one has the smallest percentage of happening.

Oh well. Three out of four options include Father approving of Noelle. According to Damian's calculations (considering each scenario by details rather than a 'yes' or 'no') Noelle has an 82% chance of earning Father's approval. Those odds were decent.

But that 18% scared the shit out of Damian.

It was illogical to be scared of such a small number. The number was technically smaller if he considered his brother's and Alfred's likeness toward the girl. After all, most feelings toward outsiders were usually unanimous.

"You're in your head."

Damian did not notice the idiot approach him, but he would never admit to that.

He glances over at his brother before eyeing the tuxedo. "You look ridiculous."

Dick frowns. "Kori said I look handsome."

"That's because Kori doesn't have to see you wearing that for more than a video chat," Damian retorts.

"You're wearing the same thing."

"Yes, but unlike you, I'll have my girlfriend to compliment me all night."

Dick chuckles. "I'm pretty sure that's your job, Damian."

"We agreed on an equal amount of compliments after her dress was tailored."

"So you've seen it?"

Damian shakes his head. "She wouldn't let me. She wanted it to be a surprise."

"That's a shame." Dick has a sly grin now. "It's weird how everyone except you has seen it."

Damian straightens his posture more (if even possible). "Everyone?" He repeats. Dick nods, pretending to look solemn. "Even...Todd?"

"Jason's the one that chose the style," Dick sighs, finding amusement in Damian's annoyance. "This was after she sent him her meme collection, of course."

"I told him not to ask her," Damian huffs. He crossed his arms over his chest, not really sure how to feel. It's vexing that everyone except Noelle's boyfriend got to see her dress.