Chapter 51

"D-daddy where should I p-put this?" Maya holds a bunny stuffed animal.

"You can put it on the shelf angel," Asher points at the right side of the room. He was busy assembling the bed with Noah. They have tried for an hour but weren't successful. Ethan and Emily offered some help but they claimed they were fine.

"I'm surprised my son hasn't given up yet," Mrs. Martinez laughs at seeing how stressed Asher looked. She came over to help with Maya's move but was having blast at how Asher freaked if something didn't look right.

"I give it a day max," Ethan murmurs.

"I can still hear it!" Asher expresses his frustration with a sigh.

I walk towards Asher hoping to help him assemble it. I sit down next to him and give him a smile.

"Noah, why don't you go help Emily with organizing Maya's clothes?" I ask him knowing he wouldn't mind spending time with her.

"I see what you're doing but I don't mind it. Thank you, angel face!" Noah says while walking towards Emily.

"Baby, what are you having trouble with?" I ask hoping to relieve some of his stress.

"These stupid instructions are not clear! I can't even find the screws that are labeled here!" Asher explains.

"Asher, have you tried looking everywhere?"

"Yes, I have."

"Baby, they are right behind you! You didn't even look, you would have found them if you looked harder," I chuckle at his face once he finds the screws.

"In my defense, I'm just tired! I couldn't sleep knowing that today was Maya's court day."

"I know! I couldn't either, but now everything is all good. So, just relax, you are starting to look like me before we adopted Maya," I joke.

"Have I ever told you that you look beautiful when you laugh?" Asher asks.

"What-" I ask confused at his sudden question but get cut off as places a quick kiss on my lips.

"Aw, my son is so cute!" Mrs. Martinez exclaims from across the room.

"Mom! You weren't supposed to see that!"

"Vanessa, you are doing wonders with my son. He's all soft now," Mrs. Martinez chuckles. I join Mrs. Martinez, smiling at how Asher seemed embarrassed.

"When is dinner ready?" Noah whines as he enters the kitchen.

"Noah, I'm about to beat the shit out of you if you ask one more time!" Amelia exclaims. "Y'all need to wait for five more minutes!"

"Chill, women! I was only hungry, I'll find something to do," Noah starts walking away.

"Set up the table!" Emily yells for him to hear. Noah comes back to the kitchen smirking.

"I will, but I need some help..."

"Just say you want Emily to go with you, no need to hide it," Ethan jokes. Amelia pushes Emily out of the kitchen, helping Noah to spend time with her.

I advert my attention back to finishing up my cooking. This meal needed to be perfect, it was Maya's first meal as my adoptive daughter. Also, it was the first time Mrs. Martinez was here as my boyfriend's mother. I could not mess this up.

"You're thinking too hard again~" Asher hugs me from behind. I was about to deny his claims but he continues. "You sighed, and started scrunching your eyebrows slightly."