Chapter 57

Vanessa's POV

"Don't scold Maya, she did what Asher and I should've done a long time ago, embarrass them," Amelia laughs as she helps me clean up Maya.

"Maya please don't do that again. It was funny and the first time something like this has happened. I'll let it pass this time," I warn her.

"S-sorry mommy, I won't do it again. What w-will we eat now?" Maya asks as she refers to the ruined cake.

"We can order something, angel. Now, how did you come up with the 'you're welcome grandpa?'" I ask her. No one really filled Maya in with the feud that was happening between us. She probably didn't even know who Asher's dad was.

"Ethan and Uncle Noah told me. They said he w-was a bad guy and my g-grandpa," Maya giggles.

"Well, Noah and Ethan have been doing their jobs as uncles," Emily smiles.

"Okay! Let's go finish your party. We have a long day tomorrow if we want to get through all your presents in a day."

"I love you, mommy!" Maya giggles and kisses my cheek before running to play again.

"That's why I love her. My heart can take it anymore, she's so cute!" I laugh.

"Ugh, at this rate just have another child. I don't know how you can stand kids," Amelia sighs.

"You just have no patience. I may take your advice though, not now of course," I joke.

"Vanessa is getting brave now. Next thing you know, she will end up with five children," Emily adds.

"Oh gosh, absolutely not. I love Maya but I would feel bad for Vanessa to end up with five. I would be amazed if I even had one," Amelia confesses.

"Well let's see. In four years from now, let's see if Amelia has one child. I'm betting she will have one," I say confidently.

"I bet she won't" Emily argues.

"Not you two betting on this. I got a better deal. Let's promise to stay friends by then, no matter what happens," Amelia proposes.

"Always," Emily and I promise.

"Vanessa, I love you. Have I told you that?" Asher asks as he cuddles next to me in our bed.

"Baby, I love you too. However, what happened to you?" I giggle.

"I don't know. I just want to remind you that I love you. I'm so happy."

"I thought you would be mad today, especially after what happened with your father."

"Oh no, I was proud of Maya and everyone that helped push that cake onto their faces. Amelia and I applauded Noah for leading the kids into the cake. My mom even laughed at their embarrassed faces," Asher laughs as he recalls the earlier events.

"It was funny. Amelia's mother was crying because her makeup got ruined. That reminds me, I need to tell my mom to send me the pictures she took of the incident. She took a video as well."

"The best part was that everyone thanked us for an entertaining evening as they left. They enjoyed the show. Apart from that, I can't believe Maya is five now. We barely adopted her but it feels like she is growing up too fast," Asher whines next to me.

"I know, next thing you know she will turn sixteen and bring her partner home," I joke to his reaction.

"You're crazy, Maya isn't bringing anyone. She's my baby," Asher says protectively.

"We'll see~" I tease him.

The next day, I decided to go back to work. I haven't been too present in the company, I've been working a lot from home. It was mostly until Maya got comfortable in our house and the people inside. Now that she was accommodated, she was able to stay with Emily during the day. I would have left her with Asher but he claimed he had an important meeting to attend. I didn't question him too much because I didn't want to stress him out.

As I walk into my office, I see that it has been kept clean. Even without my presence in the building, my workers were still committed to their job. I place my bag next to my desk. I breathe in the smell of paper, the piles of papers that have been waiting for me.

I smile as I remember my life almost a year ago. I was a nerd, hopelessly crushing on the attractive guy in our school, Asher. I somehow got him to like me, which surprises me every day considering that I wore a stupid disguise.

Emily went through so much with her family, yet she still stands bravely in front of us. Amelia as well, she went through an affair. She still hates her mother but has dedicated a lot of time to her father.

As for Ethan, he was the only one who remained sane and acted like an adult. He was the glue for us, he managed to fix many problems when they seemed impossible. Noah went through a fake engagement with me. I laugh recalling how good we acted. Noah was always there to lighten the mood up, to make us realize at the end, we were still young.

Lastly, Asher and Maya. Asher went through so much as well and managed to mend his heart to forgive me. He took it upon himself to help me with Maya. Asher even became her father. I truly don't know what I did to deserve him. Maya simply made my life better. I love her dearly, she's the reason I wake up with a smile. I'm excited to see what the future holds for all seven of us.

"Baby, I'm back!" Asher walks into my office, breaking me off of my thoughts.

"Hey! How did your super-secret meeting go?" I ask him as I place a quick kiss on his lips.

"Actually, this was the first meeting I ever enjoyed."

"Really? Did you win the lottery or something?" I ask.

"I won something even better," Asher teases.

"Oh, c'mon! Are you going to keep it a secret or are you going to tell me soon?" I plead.

"Fine, I'll tell you just because I love you. Ms. Lee, I'm excited to do business with you from now on," Asher smiles.

"Wait, I don't get it?" I ask confused.

"I own my father's company now. All the business you do with him has now transitioned to me."

"Oh gosh! You really took the company? I thought your father would reconsider after the whole affair," I question.

"Well, he is dumb. He thought that leading me into this position would make me forgive him. In other words, bribe me with the company. I took it and I'm leaving him out. I'm only going to maintain this company because my mom's hard work is also put into this company. So, I'll be working hard for her, you, and Maya," Asher smiles.

"I guess your father and Amelia's mom better find something to do if they want to keep up the lifestyle they want."

"I hope they do. Anyways, enough of them. We'll be stuck together for some time," Asher winks.

"You're right! We have a lot to work on if we want to keep being business partners. I can always get rid of you," I joke.

"Sure, you can get rid of our business contract but you can't get rid of me as your boyfriend. I'm here to stay," Asher hugs me tightly.

"I have no way of getting rid of you then. It's gonna be interesting working with you Mr. Martinez" I joke. It was hard acting professionally with him.

"I can say the same Ms. Lee," he shakes my hand. I laugh but get cut off as he kisses me. I can sure get used to this. 

---

Next chapter will be the last! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!