Chapter 14

Asher's POV

I stand still as I see Vanessa going underwater. Part of me thought she was going to come back up but something told me that I might be wrong. I try to swim towards her as fast as I can but the water makes it hard to do so. 

As I swim towards her I realize she doesn't come back up. I realize that if I don't act quicker, something bad could happen. Death comes through my mind but I push back the thought, I need to swim faster.

I go underwater and see her lifeless like body. I push back the burning feeling in my lungs and try to reach her. I pick her up and see her eyes close. I begin to panic even more. I push her and myself back up and see the guys ready to help me with carrying Vanessa. I see Addilyn with a worried expression that matches Emily and Amelia. 

The guys help me carry Vanessa back to a flat surface and we all take in that Vanessa could leave us if we don't act fast. Addilyn, Emily, and Amelia are crying at this point. 

"Everyone move, I need space!" I basically yell. I murmur a few curse words trying to remember how to do CPR. If I would have known this would have happened back in middle school, I would have paid attention to the class.

I start by giving her 30 chest compressions and then two rescue breaths. As I do this, I pray for it to work. I check for any signs of her breathing but I feel nothing. My mind begins to fill with thoughts of her being dead. I start the compressions again and the rescue breaths. My mind was everywhere while doing so, what if she really is dead. I check for breathing again, already expecting nothing. I was losing hope.

I desperately start doing compressions again yet trying to be as careful as I can to not hurt her. 

"One-two-three... fifteen-sixteen-sev-"I whisper until Vanessa starts coughing. I look at her and rush to help her up. Ethan helps me sit Vanessa up so she can cough up the water. As Vanessa continues to cough a bit, relief washes over me when she finally opens her eyes. I notice that her glasses aren't on her no more. She looks different, almost as if I've seen her before. She looks down as soon as her eyes meet mine. 

"A-a-ddilyn..." she tries to speak. I guess Addilyn understood something I didn't because she wraps a towel around her body and gives her another one which Vanessa uses to cover more of her face. 

"Asher, help me carry her back to the cabin," Addilyn says. I rush to my feet and carry her. Vanessa just places her head on my shoulder as I follow Addilyn back to the cabin. I feel all the guys packing up with the help of the girls. Once we reach the cabin, Addilyn orders me to place Vanessa on her bed. 

"Asher, can you please leave. I will call you back in a second," she pleads. I nod and head out the door.

Vanessa's POV

I see Asher heading out and I turn to look at Addilyn. Memories of what happened before I woke up, start to come back. 

"Vanessa I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it on purpose. If I would have known you couldn't swim, I would have never asked in the first place. Now, tell me, where is your make up?" she asks. 

"B-bathroom..." I manage to say. I see her rushing to the bathroom and comes out with the products I used this morning. I wonder why she needed it in the first place. She places them beside me and begins to get closer to me. I flinch away, I don't know if I still like her. My movement goes unnoticed by her and her expressions turns sad rather than worried.

"Vanessa... I'm really sorry..." she whispers. She gets closer again and this time I don't move away. I wait to see what she wants to do. She begins to place makeup as I do every morning. I realize her intentions, she is fixing my makeup for me. Maybe just maybe she isn't so bad after all.