Chapter 77 | to be or not to be a wildflower

-------------------------> LYRA'S HEELS CLICKED ON THE BROKEN COBBLESTONES that made up the area surrounding the quaint pond near their cottage

-------------------------> LYRA'S HEELS CLICKED ON THE BROKEN COBBLESTONES that made up the area surrounding the quaint pond near their cottage. She smiled at nothing in particular before crouching down, a miracle feet considering the form-fitting violet dress she paired with the heels. Lucius smiled because she was smiling. Then, he followed her action, knee cap nearly touching the grass as he sat on the end of his pristine, leather shoes; with both of them taking care to not allow their clothes to touch the soil.

He followed her gaze to where a patch of pink Valerian was growing beside the pond. Due to the magic fertiliser and blossoming spells that the House Elves had taken the time to apply around and on the cottage, flowers of various kinds were rendered evergreen, always blooming. The unique thing about the sight was, right in the middle of the miniature field of straight, hollow stems topped with umbrella-like heads of blushing pink, was a single, bright red rose. Suddenly, he understood her fascination with that sight.

"According to the Greeks, the other gods had wanted to have Aphrodite, the goddess of love, have a taste of her own potion, as the saying goes," Lucius began in a whisper as Lyra hummed to signal that she was listening to his words, "So, they got Eros, Aphrodite's son, to make her fall in love with a mortal man named Adonis. Their love was the kind that poets composed sonnets for. Loads of complications aroused in between and there are different versions to this myth, but the one that I prefer is that one day, Ares, Aphrodite's lover, sent a wild boar, which is one of his sacred animals, astray to trample poor Adonis. Aphrodite was distraught as she watched this occur from the heavens and quickly flew down to earth in a chariot pulled by doves. As she ran across the field to reach Adonis, she pricked her foot with a thorn, freeing blood. And it was that blood, when touched by the petals of a white rose, became red. Thus, it is considered a symbol of love since the colour is said to have come from the goddess of love herself."

Lyra tilted her head sideways to meet his eyes. Raven black hair pulled back from her face to reveal the sharp lines of her cheekbones and the deep dimples she was flashing in his direction. "That is a wonderful story," she commented, fixing her gaze back onto the flowers. "But I think, if I had to choose between a red rose or a wildflower, I would pick wildflowers."

Lucius' brows bunched up. "Why so? Red roses are far superior to look at and can be symbolic in so many ways. Look at its thorns, look at the rose. We can either be dismayed that these beautiful roses have thorns or rejoice that thorns have such beautiful roses."

"That's nice, but I still like wildflowers more." Lyra neatly plucked the stem of one of the soft pink wildflowers, its sweet scent mixing with that of the wind. "It's wonderful, isn't it? How despite being stepped on, they still bloom. It's lovely, according to me, how wildflowers allow themselves to grow in all the places one would never think they would. Humans and wildflowers have a lot in common, or at the very least, humans have a lot to learn from wildflowers."