Chapter 3

-------------------> "BLACK, SIRIUS," came the strict voice of Professor Mcgonnagal

Sirius Black masked all the nerves and dread he was feeling into a perfectly blank face. He walked to the Sorting Hat with his shoulders straight, his back erect and with all the haughty arrogance of a pureblood heir.

He sat on the wooden stool and awaited judgement, a casual handsome grin on his attractive face.

"Why does he even need to be sorted?" he could hear a boy dressed in Hufflepuff robes ask. "He's a Black. They all go to Slytherin, anyway."

It was the last thing he heard before the Hat that belonged to Godric Gryffindor was placed on his head. 

It was there for only a second, before it shouted, "GRYFFINDOR!"

There was pin drop silence in the Grand Hall.

A Black getting sorted to Gryffindor? It was unheard of!

Sirius himself was nervous. What was he supposed to do?

A clap was heard. 

Everybody turned to look.

The Slytherin fifth year prefect and oldest child of Scion Black was clapping with a proud look on her beautiful face.

Everybody was shocked.

A Black was clapping for the future Black Lord getting sorted into Gryffindor? 

The minds of Ravenclaws, especially, were going into overdrive.

Another clap joined Lyra's. Everybody turned to look again.

James Potter was clapping for his best mate with sparkling hazel eyes and a happy look on his handsome face.

"I was not aware that the students of our esteemed school have lost the ability to clap," came the  sharp but drawling voice of Lyra Black.

That was what it took to snap everybody back to their senses and start clapping. The Gryffindor's clapped and screamed loudly for their first student that year. 

Sirius grinned and hopped off the stage and made his way to an empty seat in his House. Along the way stopping to grin, high-five and receive pats on the back and many congratulations for coming to the best House ever.

Lyra Black only clapped a total of seven other times during the sorting, (bar the sorting of any Slytherins) . She clapped for Alice Fortensque getting sorted to the House of the Lions, for James Potter and Frank Longbottom joining her shortly after; for Tatiana and Timothy Travers, who both joined Ravenclaw; and Hilary Macmillan and Jessica Fawley who went to Hufflepuffs.

"Let the Feast begin!" Headmaster Dumbledore said as food appeared on the table from thin air.

Everybody from other Houses started eating immediately, forgetting all their manners at the moment.