Chapter 68

---------------------------> THE CLOSER THE MONTH OF JUNE CAME, the more Lyra got stressed

---------------------------> THE CLOSER THE MONTH OF JUNE CAME, the more Lyra got stressed. Not on her N.E.W.T examinations -Merlin knew she could recite the syllabi with ease in her sleep- but rather the transfer of power of the Slytherin Court.

Lyra was getting terribly nervous, a foreign feeling that she wasn't accustomed to. There were only so many things that she could teach Narcissa. The rest she would have to learn on her own. Lyra was also worried over what would happen to her siblings- Who was going to watch over them after she and even Narcissa graduated? What if another incident like the one in fifth-year occurred?

She was forced out of her thoughts when Lucius placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, looking at her with a concerned expression. "Are you alright?"

Lyra smiled faintly. "I think so, yes."

Lucius frowned at her answer. He opened his mouth to speak but Lyra beat him to it. "I'm fine, Lucius, really. Don't worry about me." she side-glanced to the mountain of documents that had been piled up on her desk. "Worry about how we are going to finish organising and signing every one of these and explaining the procedure to Narcissa and Regulus in a manner they understand."

Lucius shrugged. "Well, we were younger than them and we figured it out, didn't we? They can as well. They are both Blacks, after all. Isn't manipulation and deceit in your blood?"

"Along with absolute brilliance and insanity, yes." Lyra agreed amusedly.

It had admittedly come as a shock to her when Lucius had thrown the idea of Regulus being his successor after he graduated, which was weird because that shouldn't have been surprising. Not really.

After all, Regulus was pureblood, a member of the Sacred 28 and had had many previous Slytherin rulers in his family. He was rich, intelligent, ambitious, cunning- a proper Slytherin to the boot. It shouldn't have astonished her to hear Lucius nominating Regulus and yet... it had.

Maybe it was the fact that Lyra was so used to him depending on her, she felt strangely empty since now, everybody would be depending on him. Maybe it was how he would always be the boy who fell asleep on the staircase while using an invisibility cloak as a blanket to her. Maybe it was because Lyra's mind still couldn't comprehend the fact that her littlest brother had grown up.

Lucius' laugh at her comment brought her out of her daze, prompting her to reflect the jovial atmosphere that surrounded him.

"Anyway," Lyra started. "You're right, they can decipher the documents themselves. They teased us so many times when we complained about the paperwork, they deserve this."

"Indeed, they do." Lucius agreed with a nod of his head. He turned to face her, a smile still dancing on his lips before his eyes lit up in remembrance. "Oh!" He dug his hand inside his pocket and pulled out a piece of parchment, handing it to Lyra. "I forgot to give you the official Court list for next year."