Chapter 58

-----------------------> LYRA SMILED, placing her hands on the stack of papers in front of her which were filled with roles, duties, patrol assignment and other things concerning being a prefect

placing her hands on the stack of papers in front of her which were filled with roles, duties, patrol assignment and other things concerning being a prefect.

It felt surreal to think that she was in her last year of Hogwarts. Time had flown by too fast and it was weird to think that next year, she wouldn't have to catch the Hogwarts Express anymore. She wouldn't be able to have breakfast in the Great Hall or stargaze in the Astronomy tower after being plagued by nightmares and dark thoughts. She wouldn't be able to help Lucius in his pre-game stupid, superstitious beliefs and she wouldn't be the Queen of Slytherin anymore.

This would be the last year of her rule, she realised as she removed and put-back the diamond Silver Ruler ring on her right-hand ring finger, remembering that this would be the last academic year that she would be able to wear it. It would truly be the end of an era.

The second she finished graduation, she wouldn't have the protection of Hogwarts any longer. She couldn't hide behind it nor could she use it as an excuse to run away from her problems.

This time next year, she would perhaps be apprenticing as a healer and standing on the platform to hug her darling brothers goodbye. She wouldn't be able to protect them while they were at Hogwarts anymore.

Lucius squeezed her hand in support, having a sixth sense for the minute movements of anxiety that she would show. Lyra side-glanced at him, smiling faintly.

The Head-Boy badge gleamed proudly on his chest beside his Slytherin Quidditch Captain badge, both reflecting the light of the prefect compartment in the train.

Lyra greeted the prefects with a nod as they entered and gave them a moment to catch up with each other and settle down before pointedly clearing her throat, successfully capturing all of their attention.

Theodore Nott met her eyes and gave her a wink, having become a prefect that year along with Katherine Falwey mainly due to lack of better candidates.

"Merry meet everybody," she began, her voice ringing clearly across the small compartment. "I am Lyra Black, and I will be your Head Girl this academic year."

"And I am Lucius Malfoy, your Head Boy." Lucius drew in a lazy tone, despite Lyra knowing that he had been the most excited upon receiving the position even though it was obvious he would be selected.

"Let us go around and introduce ourselves before we begin, shall we?" Lyra suggested with a smile, and so the last prefect meeting that she would ever attend began.

------> 0o0 <------

The introduction ceremony of the first years was nostalgic with the enlightenment that she would never be able to do this again. The teachers were being merciless with respect to the number of essays assigned and tests conducted to them and every class started with a mini-speech regarding the importance of scoring well on their Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests, fondly known as N.E.W.Ts.